SASS Wire Forum

Marbles flexible rear sight

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Okay, here's the deal: I have a Remington Model 8 .35 semi-auto rifle made in 1916.  It was my dad's rifle ... he bought it from the original owner in 1941 along with a Stevens Browning pattern 12 gauge "Ranger" pump shotgun... until I bought them both from him in 1961.  It has a Marbles flexible rear sight on the tang, a Model No. RG.  I have the original box complete with a yellow Marbles label and a rapidly deteriorating instruction sheet which is very brittle and fragile.  The price sticker says the sight sold for $16.00, a right princely sum in 1916.

The sight has / had a tiny spring in the base that was used to raise the sight after it had been folded back and the little latch slid into place.  When folded down a slight touch on the eye piece would cause the spring to move the latch forward and flip the sight into the upright raised position.

That spring is either broken or missing.

I have contacted Marbles and two other people who claim to know about these things.  Marbles promised an answer within 24-48 hours.  That was over a week ago.  The others haven't seen fit to respond.

I recently had a professional restoration on the gun itself, minus a new stock which is still being negotiated.  That smith can't repair the sight, either.

Can anyone help me out on this?  I'd like it repaired but would consider buying a working sight if the price were reasonable.

Sent you a PM of a possible source of information. I found the info in a 2012 forum post on another site. As near as i can tell the number is still good. The name relates to the user name.

BTW as near as I can tell those sites are rather rare and can be quite valuable depending on the model. You may be able to buy a different model and cannibalize it for parts.

Howdy,

Just pointing out the obvious......

If you asked for help a few days ago, that was right on top of a holiday known

for vacationing.  

The fella you need may well be looking out over the Grand Canyon or some such.

Maybe give em another call next week or even the week after.

I have a broken sight on a Winchester.

I keep thinking it would be nice to fix.

Please post how your luck goes.

Best

CR

Archived