SASS Wire Forum

Two Rivers Posse work days after the flood

San Joaquin Shootist

Howdy,

The Two Rivers Posse near Manteca, CA is in the process of recovering from the flood. The range property has finally dried out enough to walk and drive into the Cowboy Action Shooting area. Tuesday June 6th was the first work day. Another work day is tentatively planned for Saturday June 25. So come on out and lend a hand if you can.

Many of the building false fronts were badly water damaged and were torn down. The plan is to rebuild in time. For the short term make do with tables and hay bales. A match is tentatively planned for the end of the month pending getting the range ready.

Below are some pictures of the flood and the work done. It was a great group of cowboys that showed up for the first work day. Nice job fellas!

This is how it looked back in March:

VxPxI6t.jpg

The old building fronts can be seen right in the center of this photo:

zBXVoXk.png

Dock and ferry building:

MPSAS7c.jpg

Looks like a lot of Louisiana in August of last year.  I am glad that you all have started the rebuilding process.  The work is worth it in the end.  And you will reach the point that it is restored.  Kind of pulling....

W.D.

On 6/8/2017 at 11:51 AM, Redwood Kid said:

Wow. I knew it had been flooded, but seeing the aerial pictures really shows exactly how bad.

I heard a remark in jest that the new club name would be Three Rivers Posse:) Anyhow there was a lot of water on the range!

On 6/8/2017 at 5:03 PM, W. D. Pickett said:

Looks like a lot of Louisiana in August of last year.  I am glad that you all have started the rebuilding process.  The work is worth it in the end.  And you will reach the point that it is restored.  Kind of pulling....

W.D.

Thanks for the good wishes W. D. The range has only now dried out enough to access the area used for the Cowboy Matches. The San Joaquin River never breached the levee. The water came in by seepage. So the ground was saturated for a long time.

For folks that like to shoot such as us it will be worth it:)

If anyone in the area of Manteca has some time to help out Contact Dragon. If you don't have his contact info  send me a PM and I will put him in touch with you.

Thanks,

SJS

Here is the latest from Dragon:

"Hello all,

First a very big thank you to all the folks who showed up and worked so hard on Tuesday.  We got a great deal done but as always there is more to do.

There will be a work day on Saturday the 17th of June, start time will be 0900 and the tool list is the same as last time, drill drivers, recep saws, hammers and pry bars.  Weed trimmers would also be good.  With a bit of luck we will have the range in good enough shape to shoot on the 25th.  That decision will be made after our work day.

I hope to see you there.  

Bill Mather

aka  Dragon"

Unfortunately I missed the first clean up day due to my job and Ill be missing the second one due to a graduation I'll be attending. I drove by the range last Sunday and was amazed on what you guys accomplished. It looks so much better! I was surprised to see how high the water was from the marks it left. It was literally a lake! 

On 6/12/2017 at 9:31 PM, Southpaw Gringo, SASS # 74217 said:

Unfortunately I missed the first clean up day due to my job and Ill be missing the second one due to a graduation I'll be attending. I drove by the range last Sunday and was amazed on what you guys accomplished. It looks so much better! I was surprised to see how high the water was from the marks it left. It was literally a lake! 

You will be with us in spirit Southpaw!

Anyone who has the time come on out and lend a hand on Saturday the 17th of June, start time will be 0800 .

The good part of this great flood is that it should have culled the gopher herd quite a bit.  But it's spring time, and any flood survivors will be making more of those little suckers.

18 hours ago, W. D. Pickett said:

How are you all coming along with the repairs?  Hope that you all are making lots of progress! 

Its my understanding that replacement of facades wont be made in a while. Not sure what the plan is because the range is prone to flooding when the San Joaquin river rises due to heavy rains. Its flooded many times and this wont be the last. It might mean shooting off of plastic tables and hay bales for a while... 

This is only a suggestion, based on what happened in New Orleans and surrounding areas after Katrina, plus what some old western towns looked like.  You might want to consider raising the structures off the ground with board sidewalks, etc.  I know before everyone jumps in with the amount of work, cost, volunteers, and so on but it is something to look at.  I don't know how high the river floods your range.  At the Bayou Bounty Hunters, mobile homes anchors with steel strapping are used to hold the structures in place now.  Just some thoughts.

W.D.

Keep on shooting!

The second work day was a success. Much good work was done. Here is a note sent from Dragon:

"Hello all,

Spread the word, Two Rivers Posse will be shooting on Sunday the  25th of June.  Start time is 09:00.

We are not back to normal by a long shot but we will be shooting and working on getting back to our normal schedule.

There will be a set up and paint targets work day on Friday the 23rd and a shoot on Sunday the 25th.

Hope to see you there.

Dragon,

aka  Bill Mather"

There are some more pictures I took below.

On 6/18/2017 at 9:21 AM, W. D. Pickett said:

This is only a suggestion, based on what happened in New Orleans and surrounding areas after Katrina, plus what some old western towns looked like.  You might want to consider raising the structures off the ground with board sidewalks, etc.  I know before everyone jumps in with the amount of work, cost, volunteers, and so on but it is something to look at.  I don't know how high the river floods your range.  At the Bayou Bounty Hunters, mobile homes anchors with steel strapping are used to hold the structures in place now.  Just some thoughts.

W.D.

Keep on shooting!

Good idea, I will pass it on.

SJS

• 2 weeks later...

Archived