SASS Wire Forum

Chiappa 1886 traditional

Ninety Caliber Al, 50218

Got one, 26 inch 45-70 1886. love it

Did the action require smoothing up? I'm thinking about it as opposed to the Winchester/Miroku because I don't want the rebounding hammer. They have that 26" in a takedown model now, really appeals to me!

Hello Ninety Caliber. I have a Chiappa 45-70 Trapper version. Very nice fit and finish and really excellent, highly figured wood. Shoots great. However, out of the box it was stiff as a board. Most definitely required work. However, very smooth now.

I also have a Browning/Miroku 1886 which is equally nice and was much smoother out of the box, but still required work, just some less. My Browning is an older one without the rebounding hammer. You might consider looking for one of those.

TR

Did the action require smoothing up? I'm thinking about it as opposed to the Winchester/Miroku because I don't want the rebounding hammer. They have that 26" in a takedown model now, really appeals to me!

I'm in the same boat with the rebounding hammer, though I have read about people replacing a few Miroku parts, with Browning parts to eliminate that rebounding hammer. No real refitting required, plus you can reinstall the original parts to sell it when that time comes.

Archived