SASS Wire Forum

My Thanksgiving Wish

Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904

I remember the "care packages" I recieved in 1969 in a smelly dump about a million miles away from home. I can still taste the jiffy pop (remember that?) and the beef jerky, but the cool aid still tasted like chlorine!

Anybody know of a deployed hero that I could occasionally send a package to? Kid, Grand Kid, SASS member or friend. I'd really like to do this person to person instead of using what's available on line.

Mike you may want to pull up GRITS which stands for gifts raised in the south. I have been sending boxes for a couple of years. They go to soldiers from our town that are in Middle East indifferent countries and they give them out. It is worth reading about anyway

When the ORNG Trans & Supply units were deployed in Iraq & Afghanistan, I requested "want"/need lists from their NCOS. (I've been working working with them for many years with supplemental training exercises)

Besides favorite food items to supplement MREs (soups, chili, & other canned goods), .22 cal. bore snakes, dry lube, and Hostess Snowballs were like gold over there.

Books for the company "library" were also high demand items.

Archived