SASS Wire Forum

The Oregon Trail

Yul Lose

I've just started reading this book about a modern day covered wagon journey over the Oregon Trail. Written by Rinker Buck who is making the journey with his brother Nick. It is a pretty good read if you're into the modern adventure, travel tales. I found the information on mules was well worth the read. Give it a try you might be surprised.

Yul:

So am I! Great mix of a 1st person narrative, history lessons and reflections on America. Buck injects just the right amount of personal experiences and family humor into his tour of the scenes of the greatest migration in American history and the reasons behind its happening.

LL

Yul:

So am I! Great mix of a 1st person narrative, history lessons and reflections on America. Buck injects just the right amount of personal experiences and family humor into his tour of the scenes of the greatest migration in American history and the reasons behind its happening.

LL

It's turning into a great read. Its a page turner.

Cyrus:

A real life adventure by the author and his brother (an Odd Couple pairing) with tons of historical background and details.

I'm only about 80 pages in, but so far I've had a primer on the design, development and construction of Conestoga wagons, prairie schooners, farm wagons, and related gear; a detailed account of the breeding and behavior of mules, and their role in farming and transportation; bits and pieces on the history of the Trail; and a discussion of the application of the assembly line and mass production techniques on the growth of wagon manufacturing. All of this told through the eyes of a newspaperman, down on his luck post-divorce, strapped for cash, as he plans to take a wagon and three mule team down the Trail (or what is left of it in modern times) accompanied by his ADD-afflicted Down Mainer brother.

Believe me, it's shaping up to be a good read.

LL

Archived