SASS Wire Forum

Treeby Rifle

Subdeacon Joe

Really cool gun, especially for that period!! :)

It is. I did notice one thing - the presenter seemed to think that you had to reload all the chambers before resuming shooting. I'm thinking that after the 1st 14 rounds, the shooter just reloads the next chamber up. Bite the cartridge open, pour in the powder, seat the ball with his thumb, cap the chamber, fire. Do it again. If there is a lull, reload several chambers.

It would still be faster, maybe twice as fast, as a Springfield and having to deal with the ramrod.

It is. I did notice one thing - the presenter seemed to think that you had to reload all the chambers before resuming shooting. I'm thinking that after the 1st 14 rounds, the shooter just reloads the next chamber up. Bite the cartridge open, pour in the powder, seat the ball with his thumb, cap the chamber, fire. Do it again. If there is a lull, reload several chambers.

It would still be faster, maybe twice as fast, as a Springfield and having to deal with the ramrod.

You're right. You can load one or a couple and it's still faster then anything at the time. I wonder why it was never successful! :wacko:

You're right. You can load one or a couple and it's still faster then anything at the time. I wonder why it was never successful! :wacko:

Too high a rate of fire. Look at the magazine cut offs in rifles even in WWI. Men were taught to load and fire as single shot and not "waste" ammunition. The powers that were didn't want soldiers to shoot promiscuously and rend the earth.

Yep, too bad the military didn't allow lever actions in 1876 when Custer had his last stand. He would have had a much better chance with 73's in .44-40!!

Archived