SASS Wire Forum

I think I've gone to the dark side

Buffalo Douglas

I find the remarks about not using a 45 Marlin a bit amusing , used that very thing for several years with nary a problem. Have since went to 44 Special , but that move was "just because" , not any grief from the Marlin.

On a bit of a side note , if all I could get was Pyrodex , I would just use smokeless. I really don't like the stuff. Have tried APP and 777 , and could get by with them. But any 2F or 3F black is way to go. I realize some pards have a hard time getting real black due to local regulations , but if it is available , that's the way to go.

Rex , BP and 44 fan. :D

I find the remarks about not using a 45 Marlin a bit amusing , used that very thing for several years with nary a problem. Have since went to 44 Special , but that move was "just because" , not any grief from the Marlin.

On a bit of a side note , if all I could get was Pyrodex , I would just use smokeless. I really don't like the stuff. Have tried APP and 777 , and could get by with them. But any 2F or 3F black is way to go. I realize some pards have a hard time getting real black due to local regulations , but if it is available , that's the way to go.

Rex , BP and 44 fan. :D

Would you elaborate a little please on Black powder being the way to go because I think I'm missing something? Recently I started loading my 44-40 with Some Goex FFFg I scrounged and was pleased with the results then I tried some Alliant Blackmz black powder substitute and to be honest I was getting just as much smoke and just as much boom as with the black powder but cleaning up the light white ash left behind from the Blackmz was a breeze compared to the black powder residue.

I realize there are "hard core" black powder users here that frown on any substitute powder and I don't want to start anything but I would like to know why. The only difference I noticed was the different smoke smells when shooting.

Here's is a place you can get some inexpensive BP. It's Diamondback Black Powder. They also have Schuetzen for a little more $

http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/2.html

I shoot BP in my .38WCF Uberti '73 and Marlin .45Colt rifles. The Marlin just needs a little more attention when cleaning, but you (or at least I) do not need to take it apart to clean. I just take the lever off and bolt and ejector out and clean it well with Murphys Mix. I've owned the Marlin since the early 2Ks and that's all I've ever done.

For pistols, I've got Colts, Rugers and Ubertis, in .38WCF and .45s. They all shoot BP.

Want the cleanest shooting Rifle ,,, Get a .38-40 !!!

And stuff the case full of 3F Goex the real Black,,, subs is fer going under water...

Jabez Cowboy

+1 The subs are great ..... BUT be forewarned..... shooting the real stuff gets even better ! I shoot he 38-40 (38WCF) with real BP, just like they did in the old west. I love it .

Anyway welcome to the Dark side . May the Smoke , flames and BOOM be with you !

Archived