SASS Wire Forum

FS Unique BP 22 rifle for the BP lover! Lower price

I traded into this 25 years ago. I used it for squirrel hunting and shooting cans around the campfire at deer camp. I've not been able to verify what I was told when I got it (the guy had two of them). The story went that RMAC stands for Rocky Mountain Arms Corp and that it was an early Dick Casull company. Its a single shot, swivel breech rifle that uses #4 buckshot for lead and paper caps for ignition. Lots of fun! $375 shipped to your door where legal. Buyer is responsible for knowing his own local laws. I will also be at Paradise Pass the end of May for the International BP shoot. Partial bag of buckshot and antler loading tool included. First I'll take it PM/email gets it.

More pics here: http://s24.photobucket.com/user/fireball7709/library/RMAC?sort=3&page=1

065_zpsc5e5o8nf.jpg

071_zpscjjgqeco.jpg

• 2 months later...

Question: is this thing a breech loader, and if so, what is the loading procedure? ( like powder charge etc.) Also, where in the heck can one still find paper caps? I haven't seen any for years. I can see lots of fun with this toy.

Al

You release the breech by the pushing on the latch on the left side and it allows the breech to swivel. One end of the rotating breech has the chamber, shown here rotated for loading:

072_zps8zfrki2f.jpg

The chamber is loaded with a small amount of BP(the antler loading tool works as a measure and rammer) and then one #4 buckshot is seated on top.

071_zpscjjgqeco.jpg

The other end of the swivel breech has the "cap cup", where you tear off a cap and put in in the cap(shown above). The cap is placed on the breech and it's swiveled into battery.

069_zpsa5drgi4j.jpg

shown on half cock above, with the breech swiveled into place and ready to fire(if it was loaded).

Paper caps can still be found, they're just not as prevalent as they once were.

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks.

That must be an "improved" model. 'Cause I'm pretty sure that when they first came out, they used Greenie Stick'um Caps. When Mattel quit making them, they must have had a redesign, to that cap-box-cup thing, to use regular roll caps.

That's extremely cool.

Several inquiries about the availability of the caps. A quick search will bring up suppliers if you can't find them locally. For instance: http://capgunstore.com/CAPS-for-Cap-Guns_c9.htm

I remember these back in the 70's. Local store had them/one on sale for $19.95. By the time we got there, all sold. Found one in the 80's at a gun show for $210.00 in the box with all the paper work and instructions. It calls for 5 grains of black or 2 grains of bullseye powder. 1 in 16 rifling. Uses a .240 round ball. Recommended is Acme 72 Big Shot Caps. Also....it apparently came in .36 and .44. I have never seen one. I've seen two others in .22. The photo on the box has a full stocked fiddle back maple rifle, along with a .454 Casull and little 5 shot stainless mini revolver.

Diego

• 3 weeks later...

Archived