SASS Wire Forum

Times Change

I keep a loaded en bloc clip, with dummy 30-06 rounds in it, on my desk. I use it for reloading information for virtual bullets.

In looking at the size of the cartridge, I realize that logistics had a part to play in going away from it, in the military, but it was and is a heck of a round †o deal with the bad guys. It did a pretty good job of hunting and putting meat on the table too.

It was a standing rule growing up, that you didn't shoot anything you needed a license for with anything less than a .30 cal.

Even 30-30's were limited to deer only.

Can't imagine the logic that leads a guy to shoot at deer with .223...

I guess I just don't understand the fascination with a .22 caliber round. Another thing I don't understand is

the idea of a lightweight rifle and then burden it with all sorts of hang ons to add to weight. Can't be that

much recoil that you need to add weight. Guess I am just an outdated fossil. :)

Badger, that's not adding weight, that's Accessorizing! Everyone knows you can't shoot anything without all the latest gimmicks. Your centerfire .22 needs a laser, flashlight, 50mm scope, muzzlebreak, video game, and a compass in the stock at a minimum to be usable. Without those why, you couldn't possibly hit anything.

Badger, that's not adding weight, that's Accessorizing! Everyone knows you can't shoot anything without all the latest gimmicks. Your centerfire .22 needs a laser, flashlight, 50mm scope, muzzlebreak, video game, and a compass in the stock at a minimum to be usable. Without those why, you couldn't possibly hit anything.

Not to mention the fashionable colors it comes in. :) I like the desert tan, it goes well with my British shorts and knee socks.

About 50 years ago, I came to the conclusion that a man needs to have certain firearms. A good hunting rifle, a good shotgun, and 2 pistols, a good .22 and a good self defense caliber. So I bought them. Rifle was a .30-06 Springfield, shotgun was a 12ga Remington Wingmaster pump, .22 was a colt Woodsman, self defense was a 1911.45 acp. Since then, a lot of new guns and new calibers have become popular. I have a lot of them. But I still have the .30-06, the 12ga. pump, the Colt 1911.45 acp and the Colt Woodsman. They might be a bit old-timey, but they still do what they were designed to do. and do it reliably and well.

Times may have changed, but I haven't!

The O'Meara Himself

Accessorizing AR's and 10-22's reminds me of archery. At one time you sold a guy a bow, arrows, a quiver, an armguard, and a glove and except for replacement strings, wax and replacement arrows that was about it. Then along came the compound bow and an entire new industry was born supplying sights, arrow rests, carbon fiber arrows, overdraw rests, releases, customized grips, stabilizers, oil for the cams, deer sent, heated doe decoys range finders, tree stands, cameras to record your shot, deer calls both electronic and manual luminol to follow the blood trail in the dark and God knows what else. We have replaced woodcraft with technology to lure more incompetent hunters that don't practice into the woods. Same goes for muzzleloading. Most state conservation departments see deer as cash cows and will approve anything that will sell more licenses.

Accessorizing AR's and 10-22's reminds me of archery. At one time you sold a guy a bow, arrows, a quiver, an armguard, and a glove and except for replacement strings, wax and replacement arrows that was about it. Then along came the compound bow and an entire new industry was born supplying sights, arrow rests, carbon fiber arrows, overdraw rests, releases, customized grips, stabilizers, oil for the cams, deer sent, heated doe decoys range finders, tree stands, cameras to record your shot, deer calls both electronic and manual luminol to follow the blood trail in the dark and God knows what else. We have replaced woodcraft with technology to lure more incompetent hunters that don't practice into the woods. Same goes for muzzleloading. Most state conservation departments see deer as cash cows and will approve anything that will sell more licenses.

You noticed that also. Huh. Not only deer, but anything that walks in the woods or swims in the water.

Bugs,

I agree. But in many instances, the industry has taken a step backwards. Look at what has replaced the Colt Woodsman, S&W model 41 and High Standard semi auto .22's.

And of course, look what replaced the Pre-64 Winnie?

..........Widder

Something replaced the Pre-64 Winchester, in .30-06? :o;) Given proper placement of a modern-constructed bullet selected for the type of game, the .30-06 will take down anything on the North American continent within 300 yds (beyond which I won't shoot...unless being shot at!). For 1000 yd matches or sniping, I'll admit there are better cartridge choices, but I'm a little old for that sort of work. And IMHO, the only thing better for repeat shots up to 8 rounds than an M-1 Rifle in close quarters is...a Tanker Garand with an 18" barrel!

I sold my M4 to get cowboy guns. It was fun to plink at cans and such with it and I'm sure it's fun to put $2500.00 worth of doohickeys on a $600.00 gun, but I decided I had no use for one. Like you said I'd never hunt with one, and we have them at work if I really want to shoot off a bunch of "free" ammo

You noticed that also. Huh. Not only deer, but anything that walks in the woods or swims in the water.

When I lived in Iowa I asked the deer Biologist why the regulations allowed me to shoot one deer with a firearm and one with a bow but did not allow me to shoot two with a bow. As long as controlling the heard allowed two deer I didn't see how I shot them to be an issue. He explained to me that I simply didn't understand that it was about providing opportunities to the largest number of people. I pointed out that he was right, I didn't understand. I was one hunter, I was allowed two deer without impacting the size or quality of the herd. Selling me two different tags to shoot two deer rather than two archery tags didn't seem to me to offer more people more opportunity. He informed me that he held a doctorate in Wildlife management and that I couldn't be expected to understand the fine points of deer management techniques and I didn't even hit him. Evidently I am just to stupid to understand that a firearms license was more expensive than an archery license and to sell me two archery permits would impact revenues.

Archived