SASS Wire Forum

Texan shoots steel in Florida

Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L

Back in August of this year I posted about a trip I took to California in late July for a National Conference and drove so I could shoot CAS matches while I was there. Here is a link to that post http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225727&hl=%2Btexan+%2Bshoots+%2Bsteel

So in early November I had another national conference to attend this time in Orlando FL and instead of just flying in for the conference and then flying back home I decided to shoot a CAS match while there. Again I posted a request for information on the SASS Wire and got several suggestions of where to shoot as well as a generouse offer from Cypress Sun to provide ammo and entry fees if I flew and brought my cowboy cloths and leather. However after seeing that I had the opportunity to shoot two matches I decided to drive and this time it would only take 1-1/2 days instead of 2 like when I drove to California.

Tuesday afternnon I drove from Denton Texas to the middle of Mississippi and then Wednesday drove to Orando to the Swan Hotel inside the Disney Complex. Attended the conference Thursday and half a day Friday. Walked around the Lagoon where all the Disney hotels are and did some shopping on the Board Walk. Not enough time to do any more sight seeing at the Disney Complex. Then drove South to Okeechobee which is adjacent to the Giant Lake in Southern Florida (just look at a map of Florida).

Saturday November 8th I shot with the Okeechobee Marshals at the OK Corral Gun Club just outside of Okeechobee. It’s a private club and appeared to accommodate a lot of shotgun shooting. The cowboy club has many permanent stage fronts constructed between block walls all facing a common berm. They did not use all the stage fronts and we shot 2 stages at some locations they used that day for a total of 6 stages. There were 2 posses, after the match everyone packed up and left so I went into town and ate lunch and then headed back North to Orlando. The weather was great, everyone was very nice and I had a great time but did not shoot a very good match, had sevral misses and a P on one stage. I shot Classic Cowboy but have no idea how I finished. They have not posted the scores and the last ones posted for this year are from March, guess they are slow to update the website. If you are in the area I recommend stopping by and shooting with these fine cowboys and cowgirls.

This is a link to a slide show of photos I took at the match http://s253.photobucket.com/user/cowtownscout/slideshow/Okeechobee%20Marshals

Saturday night a major storm front blew into Florida and it rained all night. It finally slowed down in the morning and I headed to my next match. Sunday November 9th I shot with the Weewhaootee Vigilance Committee at the Central Florida Rifle & Pistol Club near Orlando. The cowboy club uses stages that are used by other shooting disciples on other days and each stage is seperated from the other by earth side berms. Each has a metal cover behind the line and since it was still overcast and misty most everyone put their carts under these shelters. One stage had a new building that had recently been built to replace an older structure. Most stages were open areas with targets and tables to designate the shooting positions. We shot 6 stages and at several locations we shot two stages before moving on. There was 1 possee and they did scoring on an ipad so the scores were complete when we finished. They read out the finishing places and gave small destinctive club awards for 1-3 place. Afterwards they starting picking up the steel and placing it on a trailer for storage and they printed out results for anyone who wanted it. I was not the only out of state competitor as there was a Gentleman from England who also shot that day. Although the ground was saturated from the rain and the sky was completely overcast, the temperature was OK. Again I had a great time and everyone was friendly. I was the only one who shot Classic Cowboy so I’ve got a first place award from them. If you are in the area on the weekend they shoot I recommend you go by and have some fun.

This is a link to a slide show of photos I took at the match http://s253.photobucket.com/user/cowtownscout/slideshow/Weewahootee%20Vigilance%20Committee

I went into town and ate lunch before heading out on my trip back home. Drove to Pensecola before stopping for the night. Then the next day drove through Alabama, Mississippi, Lousisana and then into Texas and home in Fort Worth. This Texan truley enjoyed my time in Florida and I have now shot CAS in 11 states. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Florida, Minnesota and North Carolina. Wonder what State I'll get to shoot in next????

Scout

Cowtown Scout,

It was a pleasure shooting with you.

We always try to maximize the fun level here in FL. :lol:

Hope to see you again soon.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Scout,

It was great having you and Vic (The gentleman from England) shoot with us earlier this month. You've got one of the best techniques for shooting a hammer double (short of TBone's) that I've seen. We didn't have a very big crowd here in Orlando because of the conflict with the SE Regionals in Givhans Ferry, SC. It didn't stop us from having a good time though.

You posted some good pictures of our range and some of our stages. One of the pictures was of our "Sonny Boy Challenge" stage. That's the stage with a rectangle, circle, circle, and rectangle, that we have every month and post the times for the five fastest shooters in each category. We'll give trophies for the top shooter in each category for the year. The stage was start with gun/s of chorce in hand and shoot a Sonny Boy Sweep with rifle and pistols and four shotgun poppers. (A Sonny Boy Sweep is 3-2-2-3 and is named for a deceased cowboy who liked that particular sweep.) The fastest time so far was Santa Fe River Stan at 11.76 seconds.

Everyone is welcome to shoot with the Weewahootee Vigilance Committee in Orlando. We even have a couple of gun carts to loan out. And if you need guns, we most likely can come up with some guns and leather if we know in advance.

Our annual match, The Reckoning, is scheduled for Feb 7, 2015 if you'd like to make another trip to Sunny Florida. (Might be a little chilly in February though.)

Scout,

It was great having you and Vic (The gentleman from England) shoot with us earlier this month. You've got one of the best techniques for shooting a hammer double (short of TBone's) that I've seen. We didn't have a very big crowd here in Orlando because of the conflict with the SE Regionals in Givhans Ferry, SC. It didn't stop us from having a good time though.

Thanks Sam it was sure great shooting with yall. I actually shot my 1887 lever shotgun instead of my 1885 hammered double. ;-)

Scout,

Sorry for the confusion. Someone shot with us who had a great hammer double technique. I was thinking it was you but my ancient memory seems to be fading a bit. I enjoyed shooting with you and hope to see you again!

CS

Great documentary Scout! It was good to see ya at the Texas 10 Horns this weekend. Thanks for being a really great CLASSIC COWBOY and being "willin" to share across this great nation of ours.

Ghost

Archived