SASS Wire Forum

Which size 50 Cal round ball?

Buffalo Creek Law Dog

I currently have a Hawken style muzzle loader in .45 cal however I am now going to go with a 50 Cal Kentucky rifle. The choice of size of the round ball are .490 and .495. My question is, which is the best size to use considering the lubed patch?

Thanks for you time.

Depends on several factors. Bore diameter, groove depth, patch thickness, and how clean you keep your bore. You might try the 490s and different patch thicknesses to start, keeping fowling to a minimum. If it loads too easy, and accuracy is poor, you might try the 495s.usually the better ball to bore fit, the more accurate the rifle, and the patches won't burn through so easy. Failed patches make for poor accuracy. Short answer, I'd try the 490 first. The patched ball needs to load fairly easy. You don't want an air gap in front of the charge!

I personally use the .490. It loads easier in the woods with cold hands. I have recovered several and the patch pattern is engraved right into the ball and recovered patches show good seal with rifling.

I've always found 1:48 twist to be a compromise that was not optimal with round balls or conicals. 1:66 works best with round balls while 1:28 works best with conicals. All my muzzle stuffers are 1:66 or better...45/50/54. Most of my shooting is competitive target...so when I do hunt muzzleloader I stick with a 50 or 54 Roundball. I also started with smaller round balls and worked up to the larger diameter via patch experimentation. Shoot what works best in your rifle.

Another suggestion is to not use pre-cut/ pre-lubed patches....for accuracy uncut pillow ticking lubed and cut at time of loading provides best accuracy and minimizes fouling!

My front loader is a nominal 58 caliber, actually about a .570. 1::72 twist, 34" long. I use a .562 round ball and a thick patch. Works great. If bore gets a bit dirty, I can go to a thinner patch and keep on going.

I don't always do what the experts say, just what I find works for me and fits the budget. This 58 is semi Hawken with m

homemade mesquite stock. Barrel is a Numrich, lock and double set trigger are CVA mountain rifle. Buildit was fun, especially hand dovetailing sights and loops.

I use just enough powder to hit things accurately out to 75 yards and not so accurately beyond that. Need to get the old thing out and warm it up some day when wildfire danger drops off round here.

Archived