SASS Wire Forum

EoT side match questions

Now that I'm retired and not bothered by the time constraints previously imposed on me, I'm thinking about showing up earlier this year for EoT and shooting some of the side matches. I'm particularly interested in the .22LR and long range pistol events.

Please feel free to tell me anything you know about how these events have been conducted in the past. Is the .22 event both rifle and pistol, or is there a separate side match for each? One revolver, or two? Revolver(s) drawn from leather, or staged? Ammo restrictions?

On long-range pistol, is a revolver with adjustable sights acceptable? Typically shot on a single target or multiple targets? Is it shot for group size, or total time on a distant target? What target distances have been used in the past?

Thanks, in advance, for any input on how I can prepare for these events.

Regards, TJH

Regarding .22s, the shooters handbook for EOT 2013 indicated that there would be separate revolver and rifle events. However, when I arrived on side match day these were combined into a single event which I did not shoot because I had not brought a pair of .22 revolvers. :angry: I will bring revolvers and a rifle for EOT 2014. The handbook said only standard velocity .22s may be used.

Long range pistol at EOT is commonly shot on steel swinging targets. But, depending upon the discretion of the match director or the side match chief, paper targets might get used instead. The berms limit maximum range to about 80 yards. Pistols commonly shot about 50 yards. You should know your sight holdover anywhere from 25 to 80 yards. Adjustable sight revolvers would normally be allowed. Don't expect to tweak the sights during shooting, though. Usually scoring is "best time considering number of hits." As in, time-rank all the folks with 10 hits, then nine hits, then eight hits, etc.

Last year the .22 rifle match (I don't remember a 22 pistol event) was on a rotary target having about 10 knock-down bunnies attached around the edge of a rotating center plate (6' high) shot at about 10 yards. It was slightly challenging to hit the bunny target, but more importantly, it was vitally important in winning to crank that rifle as fast as you could, as the winner if I remember right got all 10 of his shots on bunnies in about 4 seconds and change. Pretty challenging.

All of this is, of course, subject to last minute changes. Lassiter has honchoed the EOT side matches for the last 3 years, at least. You might find that he already has plans for what will be shot.

Most of us just try to "come prepared for anything"

Good luck, GJ

Archived