SASS Wire Forum

has anyone used imrsr4756 powder?

Darksider

I think it will work well for the 32.

It will work in a 38 Special, but will need a little hotter load than you have used.

Below is the loading data area. Just select the cartridge, the select the powder - imr 4756

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Pretty slow burning powder for Cowboy main match cartridges. If you really try hard, you can make it work, especially in a 32 H&R Mag revolver. You will make hotter loads than most folks use if you get that powder burning cleanly.

More useful for things like light cast bullet loads in rifle cartridges like 30-30 or 38-55 or 45-70, though.

Your clerk in the gun shop has been smoking something strange to tell you it's "as good as Bullseye". Maybe as a camp fire starter, or as a tomato fertilizer. But not "as good as" for general Cowboy match shooting.

Bullseye is one of the faster pistol powders. 4756 is a much slower shotgun and pistol powder.

You need to reference a loading manual rather than trust that feller. He could get you injured.

Good luck, GJ

(edited to add some additional Valium to my wording)

Very slow burning powder for Cowboy main match cartridges. If you really try hard, you can make it work, especially in a 32 H&R Mag revolver. More useful for things like cast bullet loads in rifle cartridges like 30-30 or 38-55 or 5-70, though.

Your idiot clerk in the gun shop has been smoking something strange to tell you it's "as good as Bullseye". Maybe as a camp fire starter, or as a tomato fertilizer. But not "as good as" for general Cowboy match shooting.

You need to reference a loading manual rather than trust that feller. He could get you injured.

Good luck, GJ

+1 on what GJ says.

IMR's SR4756 seems to be a little slower burning than Unique, in most cases. It has been my experience that pressures can jump dramatically

when loading this powder near the upper end of useful loads. A safe load in one gun can be excessive in another.

It does make accurate cast bullet loads in my .375 H&H. But I have found other powders for all my purposes, and no longer

use this one for anything.

Duffield

Archived