SASS Wire Forum

browning muzzle loaders

evil dogooder

A friend is trying to talk me into buying three of these. One in .45, one .50 and one.54.

I'm not to smart on front stuffers. Are these any good? Collectable? They have been fired but look almost new.

I didn't realize browning even made front suffers. Guess i learned something new today

Any info would be appreciated

If they are real Johnathan Brownings they were discontinued in the early 1980s. They were manufactured in .45, .50, and .54 Calibers. They came with brass or iron furniture. The iron (butt-plate, toe-piece, trigger guard) furniture models had a pewter-tip forend cap. They are outstanding for a "production" rifle and are VERY accurate. I guess it would depend if they are replicas or not and the price. Almost forgot, I have seen the price go as high as $400 for the 50 cal. if it has the iron furniture it could be up to $100 more.

Charlie

The Browning Mountain Rifle is a fine rifle.

One of the best factory-made Plains rifle replicas you can buy.

I love my .50 and it shoots much better than I can.

Here is a description of a used one sold on Track of the Wolf's website

Manufactured in the USA, by the Browning Arms Company, Morgan, Utah,
this attractive halfstock Plains rifle is stocked in walnut, trimmed in
iron, and fitted with a hooked breech, and a unique single set trigger.

No longer made, the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle
is prized by collectors and shooters, for value and for shooting
performance.

Weighing 9.4 pounds the rifle has a trigger reach of 13-1/4" making it well suited for today's average size shooter.

Here's a CAS City thread on them: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=50330.0

If the price were right, I'd buy all three.

--Dawg

I like my dark-siders - Wife & I take them out several times a year to have fun. We get stares & a lot of questions at the range..

Our Collection so far:

Hopkins & Allen under-hammer .45 cal. muzzle loader

Hawken Rocky Mountain Rifle .50 caliber muzzle loader
Davide Pedersoli .45 cal. muzzle loader
Pietta Model 1858 New Army Buffalo Brass Frame .44 Caliber BP Revolver 4" & 6" Bbls
UBERTI 1848 Wells Fargo / Baby Dragoon Pocket .31 caliber

if they are the johnathan browning muzzleloaders, i would be very interested in the 45 for the right price. it will say "johnathan browning mountain rifle" on the top of the barrel. i might also be interested in the 50, maybe a package deal?

Sent ya a pm sir

Archived