SASS Wire Forum

COLT 1860 Signature Series

No Horse Hair, SASS #77464

I believe that the "Signature Series" black powder guns are called 3rd generation black powder "Colts."

These 3rd generation guns do NOT have as good a reputation for quality, fit, finish, etc., as the 2nd generation revolvers, from what I've read over the last several years. I also don't know if there was a continuation of serial numbers (or not), from the 1st (originals) to 2nd to 3rd generation bp guns.

The 2nd generation guns were produced earlier in the 1970's, I believe. Supposedly, the 2nd generation guns' fit, finish and functionality are noticeably superior to the 3rd generation weapons, but the only way to know for sure is to have handled and fired several examples of each, which I have not done. I've handled a few of the 2nd generation guns, but not fired them. They seemed to be well-timed and smooth opreating, with the finish and fit very good to my observation. I haven't seen any 3rd generation guns.

Neither the 2nd generation nor the 3rd generation guns were made by Colt, as I understand it, so they are not actually Colt-made weapons. The parts were all castings and other unfinished parts from Uberti. The people who later formed and now own Henry Repeating Arms did the work on the parts to finish and assemble them. What their actual company name(s) was/were at the time, I'm unsure of, but Colt was involved to the extent that they lent their name to the guns and the umbrella company, Colt Blackpowder Firearms (or something like that) and they are roll-stamped as Colts. Where the idea came from to produce the 2nd and 3rd generation bp's (Colt's idea or from elsewhere), I never heard.

So, that's the extent of what I know about them.

The second generation started with the 1851 Navy in 1971 and continued through all the black powder series of Colts finishing in 1981 with the Pocket Models in 1984. When Colt decided to revive the 1851 Navy for it's 125th anniversary, they went to Val Forgett Sr. who oversaw the production of all parts in Italy by Uberti. The parts were shipped to Hartford and finished in the Colt custom shop and are considered true Colts. They are beautiful Colt blue and case hardened and they are included in most books on the history of Colt and the collecting of Colts. The third generation was started in 1993 and came from Louis Imperato who owned Iver Johnson at the time (and now of Henry fame). They are not considered a genuine Colt by Colt collectors. The third generation can be recognized by Sam Colt's signature engraved on the back-strap- thus the Colt Signature series name.

Archived