SASS Wire Forum

Problems with 1860 Army's

Grizhicks

I have 2 Uberti 1860 Army pistols, that I now cannot get back together. It seems the arbor/base pin is too long, and leaves a gap of 1/16"-1/8" where the barrel and frame meet; and the wedge will not seat. These pistols are about 3 years old and have not given me any problems until now. Any help???? -- Grizhicks

Did you swap front ends by mistake? Is the wedge totally out, or clear of the arbor?

No, on the barrel/front ends (double checked the S/N's).

Even with the wedge taken totally out, will go together.

Did they require any wiggling or force to get the barrels separated from the frame when you took them apart? I have had a couple of new revolvers that I had to "twist" together to get them reassembled, then make the final seating of the barrel back onto the frame with the tap of a mallet, because of some friction points between the arbor and its hole in the barrel assembly.

MAKE SURE the alignment pins are started in their holes. I'm NOT encouraging the use of force mind you, just some gentle tapping to encourage the parts to get together don't you know!

If the barrels were on there to start with, it is impossible that the arbors are now to long. In fact, on 99.99999% of Uberti's the arbor is to short. Take the wedge completely out and twist the barrel back and forth as you push it on. Must be a burr or something in there.

Archived