SASS Wire Forum

Transition question for double duelists

El diablo gringo

One other things that affects me on this transition. Is table height.

I find that for me. A short table that I have to really reach down to get into the lever on the rifle,

or get a grip on the shotgun. Really throws me off balance and I tend to push a miss more than

normal. As I am not real limber. And I DON'T bend very good.

So, at least for me. if the long gun is staged on a really short table or prop. Saving the one second to go for the

long gun. Is not worth having a miss and costing me 5.

But again. This is only is the long gun is staged low.

That is the reason I focus more on the act of hostering left revolver smoothly then concern mys elf with nice flowing pickup of rifle.....if table gives opportunity for a grip on rifle fine, if not, I have still praticed smooth transition from one to other making the rifle (or shotgun) pickup just a part of transition of revolver to holster......higher table then perhaps slightly better time. Shorter table, gain goes to shorter competitor (got to watch out for Cowhand here.....really..and not only at short table. Ha

Alot of good advice above from some highly skilled Pards.

Billy Boots stated one item that jumped out at me which might be the most critical of all ..... "mind getting split between the two acts of shooting (pistol) and holding rifle".

If your physical part is saying 'YES' but your brain is being distracted and losing focus on what you should be focused on (like shooting your pistol), then you're gona have to work alittle harder to make sure all those brain waves stay in sync with your physical movements.

Just a thought.

There are some of use who's left side of the brain doesn't know what the right side is doing. Thats why it isn't difficult for some to independently operate a pistol in one hand and a rifle in the other........... :o:o:o

Happy Trails.

..........Widder

Hey Widder,

Figured you were following this thread. IMO, when one is trying to get them brain waves in sync, they are probably costing time, maybe not much but at acost that could turn into miss or bobble. Like you say...there are some of use who____________________,well have a hard time at thinking to hard and doing what we are thinking. ha.

Howdy Billy Boots.

even as a GF, my transitions sometimes are really bad.

And I might be the wrong person to have given info on this thread because some things seem to have come more natural to me and I didn't consider some of the difficulties that some shooters might have..

When I find myself having to shoot a stage DD style, I seem to be able to acquire the pistol (either staged or in holster) and pick up the rifle without any problems or distractions. I'll shoot the pistol while grasping the rifle thru the lever and lifting it up off the table. I leave the end of the rifle barrel on the table for support.

Then immediately after the last pistol shot, the rifle is at my shoulder before my pistol is back in leather (or restaged).

You could be correct in that I might be losing some time but normally, it appears like a natural thing for me.

Hope all is well with you.

Keep em smokin!

..........Widder

Howdy Billy Boots.

even as a GF, my transitions sometimes are really bad.

And I might be the wrong person to have given info on this thread because some things seem to have come more natural to me and I didn't consider some of the difficulties that some shooters might have..

When I find myself having to shoot a stage DD style, I seem to be able to acquire the pistol (either staged or in holster) and pick up the rifle without any problems or distractions. I'll shoot the pistol while grasping the rifle thru the lever and lifting it up off the table. I leave the end of the rifle barrel on the table for support.

Then immediately after the last pistol shot, the rifle is at my shoulder before my pistol is back in leather (or restaged).

You could be correct in that I might be losing some time but normally, it appears like a natural thing for me.

Hope all is well with you.

Keep em smokin!

..........Widder

W,

From our chats I have no doubt you can do it well, just as I suggested in another post,that it could be a transition good for those who practice it seriously. Since you and I both enjoy practice, if for no other reason than we like to shoot, I can see that you might have tailored that transition well. I have not yet got comfortable with this one, and do believe it one of the more difficult to master well. Much as we have both pointed out, a challenge for the "thinker". Did you find that in perfecting this transition you found that it was a bit of weight/balance exercise also? I am not one of real strength in arms, as perhaps you, and I know T-Bone, so I feel that might be one obstacle in my being able to master this rifle/revolver coordination task.

I know gunfighters enjoy their category fo sure, but it is certainly rare that you will find a good gunfighter that can not handle a DD stage quite well. Sure not true in reverse, I would never make a good gunfighter unless I did it strickly as a DD...at that I would not make much of a competitor in the GF category.

Got that stump shot out of the ground yet?

bb

Billy,

Those 2 stumps were shot up late last year (fall). I've taken on the roots now... :lol:

Of course, ifn ya really want to practice your SG shooting skills and speed, find yeself a couple good stumps about 4-5 ft apart. Buy yeself 5-6 CASES (maybe even 10) of SG shells and have your self a ball all summer long.

Doesn't matter ifn its an 87, 97 or SxS. You can surely find out how to best hone your skills alittle better and have a blast doing it.

AND, it makes Saturdays alittle more entertaining also..... :D

p.s. - and it will also keep your local club gunsmith intrigued about how you can manage to break and destroy a 97 in so many different ways.... :o

..........Widder

Archived