SASS Wire Forum

NON-SASS Reloading Question

Kidd AtHeart  SASS # 74179

I have a friend that fires off a salute cannon at the William & Mary football games every time they score. Hasn't had a lot of use lately! It uses a 10 Ga. blank cartridge. I have tried to find reload tools for 10 Ga., but have had no luck. Hand tools would be great. Plan to use BP substitute with mix of oatmeal & glitter. (BTW, use a Mec 650 Jr for my 12 Ga. cowboy loads). Ever heard of a 12 -> 10 adapter ?

Any suggestions on tools would be appreciated.

Kid AtHeart

You could just knock out the primers with a nail and then press in the new one by putting a dowel rod in the shell and pressing it over the primer. Fill with powder and glue a over shot card on top of your powder load. You can trim the hulls to your preferred powder charge. I would suppose 60-80 grains of 2f would do. You could also top off the round with a floral foam plug as well instead of the card.

You didn't say whether these are paper, plastic or brass hulls.

If paper or plastic hulls, I would cut the hull just below the crimp roll and not crimp these blanks.

Beings these are used in the same cannon, they may not need resizing.

Remove primer with nail that has point flattened. Re set new primer as above. Using wooden dowel inside case push primer in on flat surface.

Top of with floral foam. Floral foam would be much better than card and glue. The foam will be completely consumed (within 2') when fired where as the card will become hard from the glue and can take off like a frizbee traveling quite a distance.

Foam is much easier to use. Just place over hull and press down. It will be cut to shape and friction will hold it in place.

You can use your MEC to seat the primers, I do it all the time. I knock them out with a small punch. CH is correct in using florist foam in place of the card.

Archived