SASS Wire Forum

Uberti '73 Trapper Magazine Capacity.....

Howdy,

I was visiting another cowboy shooter who had some stuff he was selling. He had a Uberti Trapper in .44-40 that was in like new condition. Since I shoot .44-40 rifles, and like "shorter rifles", I was interested in it until I noticed the barrel length at being just over 16 inches. So I came home and looked up the Trapper on Uberti's website and found that in the specifications that it holds 9 + 1 in both .45 Colt and .357 Mag. I'm assuming that the .44-40 has the same limitation. Am I correct in my assumption? Can the magazine/spring/follower be modified to hold 10 rounds and feed reliably?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Buckeye Pete :FlagAm:

Yep, that would be the same limit, as those three cartridges all have the same Max overall length, and yep, folks report that usually you can shorten the mag spring to the point where only a couple of inches stick out of the tube (uncompressed) and can get 10 rounds in.

Good luck, GJ

The 16" trappers sold by Cimarron have a proprietary spring and magazine cap and will hold 10. I have one that holds ten 45LC at OAL of 1.59". Very tight but they fit.

Archived