SASS Wire Forum

Ultrasonic cleaner for brass?

Shooting Bull

Didn't want to hijack the other thread so here we are. I was at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and saw a very large ultrasonic parts cleaner for sale. Besides the normal use for guns/parts, they also showed it being used (with their special solution) for cleaning spent brass. Does anyone have any experience using one of these for brass? Good, bad or in between?

Thanks

I use an ultrasonic cleaner for my brass.

I bought it at Harbor Freight - Same cleaners as Lymans.

Holds about 250 38spl.

I use a table spoon of TSP (Buy in paint dept of Lowes/Home Depot - Get the powder not the liquid) and fill with water after adding brass.

Cleans the inside and the outside and if you have removed the primers....the primer pockets too.

I run them through about 3 or 4 cycles (8 minutes each). The unit has a built in heater for the water. That way the water gets up to full temp.

I then drain and shake the water off them and put them directly into the tumbler while they are damp.

You have to realize that I de-prime first, then ultrasonic clean, then tumble.

They come out looking like new brass on the outside and almost new on the inside.

The tumbling media last forever as little or no soot/oil/dirt gets to the tumbling process.

Being clean and bright, the slightest crack shows up easily.

I then inspect for media in the flash hole before I hand prime.

Archived