SASS Wire Forum

WTB - Looks like I'm going to need a 1897 stock

Well, I recently purchased a Norinco 1897 from a pard here on the forum and that's a good thing. The bad thing is that when USPS got their hands on it they didn't treat it so kindly and the box arrived to my FFL looking like they had tried to do a "take-down" on a non take-down model '97. With a big fold in the box about 17" up from where the butt end was cradled you can imagine the stock didn't take kindly to the folding.

Ta git around the long wind to the short of it, I will need a new stock and iffin the USPS decides to pony up or not (y'all don't want to git me started on the BS route they are running me around)... it has to be replaced.

Any direction on where to look would be appreciated.

Thank ya kindly

Hardin "Morning" Wood

Always take off the stock when shipping.

I went through this about a year ago,UPS paid for it but it took quite awhile,model 12 stocks do fit the 97,you have to trim a little off of the reciever end of ths stock.`Take lots of pictures and keep the gun ,send them to UPS to make a settlement ,and explain to them that you will keep the gun ,and send them the stock.Actually,take it to the nearest UPS.If you relinguish the gun to them ,it is all but gone.Splitthumb

Thanks, but this was USPS not UPS.

I have already delved into the damage claim process. Initally I was twisted about in who actually had to file the claim since technically I am no where on the shipping transaction...should the shipper or the receiver file...in this I am a third party. After a lot of calls and time it came down to it being "My gun, my responsibility". The pard that sold it to me sent me all the original shipping receipts as well as the pics he took of it when he listed it here showing no damage. I took pics of the damaged box and the damage to the gun and contacted my favorite Postmaster to get help walking through the process.

I got the forms, filled them out, attached copies of the pics and documents and sauntered down to the Post Office where I was then told I needed to "bring in the damaged item". I laughed at him and replied, "You awnt me to carry a shotgun into a Federal Building?" He thought just a moment and laughed, "Yea, that could be problematic." He then went with me out to my truck and took possession himself and carried it and the packaging inside. He said it would go into lock up until the adjuster could take a look. This all took place on February 3rd.

I went in yesterday since neither the shipper nor my FFL, the two parties actually listed on the claim documents , had heard anything on the claim. My Postmaster was supprised to see me and went to pull the paperwork and see what was going on. He returned after 20 minutes to tell me he was on hold with the claims adjustment department to get some thinmgs explained but what he did leanr was that on February 23 the claim had been denied on the grounds that the damage occured on an item that is on the USPS "Ban to ship" list so they were not covering it as "I broke the law". My

Postmaster immediatly said, "That's a load of BS. I am on hold trying to find out what the heck is going on because dealer shipping is not banned.".

After another hour wait, it boils down to the USPS doing some huge data base conversion mid March and they have directive to "flush" all the claims out of the system before that occurs if they cannot be cleared up by that time. There are a couple more hoops they were going to make me jump through and my claim could not be completed so..."Denied".

My Postmaster initiated an "appeal" for me to be completed with documents AFTER the database conversion late in March when he will help try and push it through. His view of this "This really makes us look like a bunch of fools. We sell a product (insurance) and then do everything we can NOT to stand behind the product. No wonder we are losing ground to UPS and FedEx." So I took back possession of my damaged 1897 as he really did not want it in his lock up and apparently the adjuster had no quams about the damage or their responsibility after seeing it.

It looks like it will be quite some time before I use this new shotgun as I don't want to touch anything until the claim is completed but I do need to have a line on a replacement so when done, I can get it shootin'.

I bought an extra stock for my 97 from Midway USA. It was on sale for fifty-ish dollars.

Thanks Abe, I will pull them up now.

I just looked and they show out of stock...(pun?) I got on the notification list.

Is the Winchester '97 a direct fit for the Norinco?

Howdy

Norinco stocks are different from original winchester stocks.

I have some new Norinco butt stocks, "in-stock" will set you back $35.00 plus shipping and handling, estimate about $5 or $6 bucks.

Yer Pard,

Har Trigger

(e-mail me if your interested ht338@ymail.com )

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have Norinco set that I replaced with real walnutstocks a while back. If I have them there your's for shipping. Send me your address if interested and I'll look for them.

If you find that set Bluesteel please let me know and I will send you the gold how ever you like.

HMW

Hardin:

Go ahead and fix your shotgun and write it off to experience. NEVER ship USPS, and don't let anyone ship to you using USPS. It sometimes might be a deal breaker but what your experiencing is exactly what happened to me. It's been over a year and I still haven't gotten a response to my "appeal".............The USPS told me the same thing about "illegal to ship" (mine was a '97 as well)and even after I sent them a copy of their own shipping rules they still denied the claim.

JMHO,

RICO

I actually did not know how the seller intended to ship until I was sent the tracking number. Apparently his FFL uses USPS "all the time".

I do plan to get it all fixed regardless of the claim, would have dug into it before now if the post office had not had it in their lock up.

Still need to find a replacement stock or stock/fore grip set to get it under way.

Hardin:

Sorry I forgot about that part. Here's where I got my replacement. Not cheap and only 98% finished but the best out there I could find. http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/contents/en-us/d20.html

Here's another made for Chinese import.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1081160.htm

You might get a used one here if your patient.

Rico

The indication above seems to lean to the Winchester stocks not fitting the Norinco. but thanks for the direction...I will certainly keep it in mind.

Not sure how close the TTN imports were/are to the Norinco but I am sure someone will fill us in.

Thanks again.

Here you go pard! You'll need to do some minor finish sanding and oil the stock, but this is the best place in the USA to get replacement stocks for all types of firearms. Been using them for years.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Winchester-Shotgun-stocks.htm

Here you go pard! You'll need to do some minor finish sanding and oil the stock, but this is the best place in the USA to get replacement stocks for all types of firearms. Been using them for years.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Winchester-Shotgun-stocks.htm

Thanks....I have them on my list but indications are that the Winchester '97 stocks are different than tne IAC/Norinco

Archived