SASS Wire Forum

How do I reinstall '58 Remmie cylinder?

Seldom Seen #16162

In the final big shoot-out scene in the movie “Pale Rider” the Preacher speed loads his 1858 Remington by placing the hammer in half-cock, dropping the loading lever, sliding the cylinder base pin forward and rolling the empty cylinder out into his hand.

He then rolls a loaded cylinder into the gun, closes the base pin and loading lever, cocks the gun and kills the bad guy.

Fast forward to 2013. Seldom Seen removes the cylinder of his Pietta 1858 Remington by placing the hammer in half-cock, dropping the loading lever, sliding the cylinder base pin forward and rolling the empty cylinder out into his hand.

However our hero is not able to figure out how to reinstall the cylinder. The only way he is able to do it is by fully lowering the hammer, then thumb cocking it just enough to lower the bolt and keep the hand from protruding. His posse of three Cabelas employees can’t figure out on to reinstall the cylinder with it in half cock also.

The bad guy shoots our hero and the script for the movie ending has to rewritten..

Examination shows the hand slightly protrudes into the frame when in half cock. It pushes easily back into the frame. So what is the correct procedure and technique for reinstalling the cylinder?

Make sure you are going from hammer down to half cock. If you full cock then lower to half cock the bolt stays up and blocks the cylinder from going in. When you go from hammer down to half cock the bolt stays down. If your bolt does not stay down you have a timing issue. If the hand sticks out then you might need to bend the spring some more so that the hand does not stick out. Rolling the cylinder clockwise works also.

Never actually thought about it till now, but I have always rolled it in from the left side with a counter-clockwise movement to move the hand out of the way, then roll it into place and set the base pin.

I always removed them from the right side of the window and rolled them back in from the left side. When time does not matter one can actually find a small spot between the two lower index points where nothing protrudes into the window.

Really COOL Hollywood gun... :)/>

Even COOLER SASS gun... :D/>

Especially when you can't see the target through the smoke... :lol:/>

p.s. I exchanged the 5 1/2" model for a 8" barrel one. I way I plan on shooting them (duelist) that extra 2 1/2" closer to the target will help.

For Pietta or Euberty guns all the methods mentioned work with practice. I find it easier to stard with the hammer down and pull the hammer back just enough to lower the bolt and get the face of the hamer out of the way. Then the cylinder rolls in easily from the right side. Once the guns are broken in they may even roll in from both sides but don't count on that.

On a side note, with Euroarms the hand prodrudes a little farther than either the Piettas or the Ubertis. I had to actually push the hand back with a screwdriver to get the cylinder in. I may champher (bevel) the back of the cylinders to facilitate installing them.

Archived