SASS Wire Forum

I need some big bullets/cases

Howdy all,

A couple years ago I bought a Sharps replica marked 45-70. Never shot really well despite putting a real expensive sight on it. Had a local Gunsmith look at it, he informed me it was NOT a 45-70, more like a 45-100. I recently checked prices on 45-100 ammo, it's too expensive to purchase for a test (fit) so I'm hoping to borrow some unloaded ammo. Bottom line, I'm not sure if I want to rent a 45-100 reamer, pay to have the rifle "fixed" or to go ahead and ream it out to a 45-120 (cheaper ammo).

I'm thinking if i can borrow a couple of each, unprimed, un-powdered, bullet set properly in a case for a test fit I would be able to make a better decision. I know it sounds stupid, but I am on a real tight budget. I am probably going to sell the gun after I make it "right" so I don't want to invest in a bunch of ammo.

Your thoughts are welcome, please let me know if you are willing to help.

Thanks a bunch ,

Marshal Phil DeGrave

Howdy all,

A couple years ago I bought a Sharps replica marked 45-70. Never shot really well despite putting a real expensive sight on it. Had a local Gunsmith look at it, he informed me it was NOT a 45-70, more like a 45-100. I recently checked prices on 45-100 ammo, it's too expensive to purchase for a test (fit) so I'm hoping to borrow some unloaded ammo. Bottom line, I'm not sure if I want to rent a 45-100 reamer, pay to have the rifle "fixed" or to go ahead and ream it out to a 45-120 (cheaper ammo).

I'm thinking if i can borrow a couple of each, unprimed, un-powdered, bullet set properly in a case for a test fit I would be able to make a better decision. I know it sounds stupid, but I am on a real tight budget. I am probably going to sell the gun after I make it "right" so I don't want to invest in a bunch of ammo.

Your thoughts are welcome, please let me know if you are willing to help.

Thanks a bunch ,

Marshal Phil DeGrave

I have some .45 - 2 7/8 dummys that I made up to carry on set. No primers, no powder, paper patched. You can have a couple. Let me have an address for ya and i'll be in town tomorrow and send them to ya.

I had a similar situation with a 50 cal. that was just marked "50 Sharps". It was assumed that it was 50-90. I had bought components and dies to load just that. It turned out to be 50-140. I was able to return everything and buy what I needed. What I did to determine chamber length was to try to chamber the 50 case and trim as needed to fit chamber. Then I seated a bullet with very little tension and chambered to determine

overall cartridge length. This worked well for me.

Horace

Archived