SASS Wire Forum

Copper vs lead

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

I'm trying to figure out why my Colt Series 80 1911 Govt. shoots low. Not sure if it's the gun or ammo. I bought the gun used, but it looked brand new and doubt it had been shot much. I've put about 500 rounds through it since and clean thoroughly after each outing.

With a 6:00 sight picture, my rounds are hitting about 3" below POA at 7-10 yards. Left to right tracking is excellent. These are hand loads using a 200 gr SWC lead bullet and a variety of powder loads with mostly Bullseye and some HP-38.

Tomorrow, I'm going to an indoor range to compare my loads against friend's loads who says his print POA from his Colt Series 80 1911 (200 gr RNFP lead).

I'm also bringing some factory loads for comparison. One is PMC 230 gr FMJ, the other is Winchester 230 gr JHP.

I plan to shoot about 15 rounds of each type. Will shooting the jacketed ammo and the lead ammo in the same same session without cleaning the barrel skew the results? Will the mix of copper and lead fouling create any other issues?

Thanks for your replies.

Heavier bullets and hotter loads hit higher, just the way it is. Don't know how light your handloads are but don't sound like they are factory equivalents.

Heavier bullets and hotter loads hit higher, just the way it is. Don't know how light your handloads are but don't sound like they are factory equivalents.

They chronoed at 840fps. That's above the Speer manual range for Bullseye (805 fps max), but at the bottom of the Lyman range for the same powder (840 fps).

I don't know how the factory loads chrono since we can't shoot jacketed rounds at our range. Winchester says the round I have is 880 fps, PMC says 830 fps.

Archived