SASS Wire Forum

Unlined holster

Horace Patootie, SASS #35798

I am sure you will get several preferred methods. Mine is to work enuff gum trag into the fibers, to smooth them down tight with vigorous rubbing with a smooth firm tool that will let you work inside the holster (something like a broomstick might work). I would then set it aside in a well ventilated area to dry. If all goes well with this you might even feel brave enuff to try it again with a top coat to seal everything even better. The top coat will not only add an attractive gloss (depending), it can further smooth and slick the interior. It can be readily done inside a finished holster and there are several videos showing it, but they might cost more than your holster!

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

I have painted melted candle wax on the insides. Gives a good solid surface and decreases friction.

Slowhand is on the right track. Anything that will help burnish the leather will help. Something as simple as a small piece of canvas rubbed on the slightly dampened interior will help. You could also dampen the leather and use a Dremel (on the slowest speed) with a small wool fiber tip that has been dipped in glycerin saddle soap.

Archived