SASS Wire Forum

How many have

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Guys, how may of you have moved away from leather as the material of choice for daily gun wear? I guess I am primarily talking primarily concealment here, though open tactical carry seems to be taken over by synthetics also. Though I have a couple of really nice concealed carry leather holsters, I get the feeling that they are strictly an old man thing now days. My answer to my own question is, I switched to kydex about twenty years ago for my concealed carry use. Though I have been using leather for everything else, I am now even looking at some of the new synthetic offerings for field use. Not sure about the extreme drop holster styles for boat use as they might actually hang one up under the water, very bad! I am a clumsy old f..t and do seem to take a spill into the pond pretty regular and the new materials are born to laugh at that environment. Aside from SASS what yall carrying and if ya still prefer leather, tell us which ones?

My choice: http://www.kytac.net/

It depends on the gun I'm carying and the season. I like synthetic for summer and a lighter weight pistol, leather for a boomer in the colder months.

I just checked and found the site is still down waaaay beyond the original projections and I have reasons to wonder if it will ever fully return? His products were very expensive compared to some of the stuff out there and the simplicity of it was what made it special. I purchased two of the same model in the 'clip on' style belt loop wioth a 15deg forward cant, one right hand and one left hand. These two allowed the ultimate in carry options, everything from IWB, COB, Xdraw, strong side hip and a high hip pocket wear in my blue jeans.

I do think several of the early IPSC rigs and the early Hollywood fast draw rigs make great foundations for the rigs we use today in SASS but leather is under a heavy assault by the modern materials out there in the real world. I must say that the more I look at some of those early competition designs born of the 50s, 60s and 70s, the more I realize that very little has really taken place in the world of leather since. If there was a renaissance period of practical leather design, those were the years in which it took place. Somewhat surprisingly, Hollywood seemed to lead the way and even the very talented IPSC holster makers built much of their product line around those designs.

Archived