SASS Wire Forum

Ballard double set triggers

I've got a Ballard with double set triggers that haven't been working safely - suddenly, set or not the hammer would fall. So I dissassembled the breechblock to clean things up and maybe file a little etc. The set triggers had never seemed to really have any adjustment to them so I commenced to take them apart too. Before I could see where it was positioned, a little flat spring suddenly came into view. It has to be the trigger spring for the front trigger. Kind of a "L" shape with one side being wider than the other and a bend on the narrow side. So I've been messing with it most of the afternoon and have it in location where it sort of works but it isn't very close to where it was when I first saw it upon dissassmebly. Does anyone have a schematic of the Ballard double set trigger that shows where this spring should be positioned?

Thanks in advance,

Charlie Plasters

Does anyone have a schematic of the Ballard double set trigger that shows where this spring should be positioned?
Charlie, I believe there is only one source that shows the parts to the Marlin Ballard double set trigger. That is Frank De Hass's Single Shot Rifles and Actions. But it does not show how the firing trigger spring is connected to the firing trigger other than the mention that the spring is held by the firing trigger spring screw. And I don't own a Ballard with a DST only single triggers.

And based on your words ...

double set triggers that haven't been working safely - suddenly, set or not the hammer would fall. So I dissassembled the breechblock to clean things up and maybe file a little etc. The set triggers had never seemed to really have any adjustment to them so I commenced to take them apart too
... you have a DST that needs to be repaired by sending it to a competent Ballard gunsmith - such as Ballard Arms ... that has the needed replacement parts instead of getting it back to together and it still doesn't work. Your other 'on the cheap' approach is to ask Ballard Arms what parts you need and try it again yourself. The call is yours ... Good Luck

thanks for the input guys but if I told you that it had already been at the place you mentioned for several months (after being promised two weeks) and nothing was done, I think you'll understand that I'm not going to send it back again.

Archived