SASS Wire Forum

Sights for Long Range Winchester 94 30-30

Flanigan Flats

Alright I thought about buying a H&R Buffalo Rifle or what ever they are calling there 45-70 Handi rifle. But I have an old Winchester 94 in 30-30 that I have had since I was a kid. It is a family pass me down. It went through a fire and I got it when I was 12 years old (28 years ago) for helping an uncle pull a motor out of a derlect car on the back side of a mountain. He gave it to me as a barrel and reciever and a coffe can full of parts. Took me about a year to get her up and running. We roamed alot of the Maine woods on many a fall day after that. I'm not sure how many whitetails she has put on the table but more than a few. The last one was in North Carolina around a dozen years ago. It has been just hanging around since then. Looked at fondly often though. So I'm thinking that CAS is about shooting with old and new friends so why not pull my old friend out of the back of the safe and put her back into service as my long range gun for CAS. It will be good to have her out again. I put Williams peep sights on her when I rebuilt her. They have served me well but as I understand the rule book they are not SASS legal. So my question is what is the absolute best sight package for a Winchester 94 in the SASS long range game? Thanks a bunch.

The Smith ladder sight is the best, period. ;)

I had a Marbles tang sight on my Winchester 30-30, past 100 yards it will not hold it adjustment the top wobbles. Sent it back to Marbles, still is the same. I have a Pard's 30-30 now and will be going to the range Tomorrow for the same issues. With the set screws tightened, still has a movement.

I now have a Smith sight and can shoot out to 300 yards plus, with accuracy.

For a proper Tang sight you must spend the big bucks. ;)

Is your Winchester 94 a carbine or a rifle? For the carbine, I agree with Lefty Dude. I don't have one... as they're a lil' pricey... but I'm savin' up! If it's a rifle... I recommend a tang sight. A tang sight will help a carbine also... but that ladder sight just works so well.

Precision with "IRON" sights is all about sight radius (distance between sights). A tang sight gives you about six more inches of distance between the rear and front sights on a mdl 94. The two big names are Lyman and Marbles. Both have been around since "the day" and are totally correct as they were offered as factory options back when Winchester still offered such. The major difference between the two is that the Lyman isn't windage adjustable, while the Marbles is. They work great with a Hadley eyepiece... (it has several different diameters of aperatures to deal with lighting conditions and the amount of precision you want).

There are a few companies that also make "look-a-like" tang sights. I have one of these on my long range mdl 94. I also use a globe front sight. It originally came from Shiloh Sharps as their standard front sight on the Long Range Express (they've since deleted std sights on that model). I trimmed the base to fit my 3/8" dovetail and then filed off the top of the "ball" that was the post inside the globe. This made it a very fine "T". There are also several variations of globe front sights, Lyman makes a fine one, the 17A with replaceable inserts. There are also several other types... (brain fading fast...) :huh:

But... IMNSHO, a tang sight and globe front sight is the best combo for long range shooting. Always wear your safety glasses.

I have a Marbles tang sight that came with my 1885 Winchester 38 55. I put a Lee Shaver on the 3855, and put the Marbles on the 94 winchester 30 30. I realize the Marbles is a period correct sight for that era, but mine came with absolutely no directions on how to use it. I have finally figured out, for the 94 30/30, that if I leave it where it now is, at the tallest position, it is good at 200 yds. Mine wobbles around, but it doesn't seem to matter that much. For 100 yds, I use the receiver sight that came on the rifle. Interesting is that I found an old Marlin 336A made in 1947, and the factory receiver sight on it is fine at 400 yds - at the highest position no less. What is a Smith sight? , and why is it not Legal?

I have a Marbles tang sight that came with my 1885 Winchester 38 55. I put a Lee Shaver on the 3855, and put the Marbles on the 94 winchester 30 30. I realize the Marbles is a period correct sight for that era, but mine came with absolutely no directions on how to use it. I have finally figured out, for the 94 30/30, that if I leave it where it now is, at the tallest position, it is good at 200 yds. Mine wobbles around, but it doesn't seem to matter that much. For 100 yds, I use the receiver sight that came on the rifle. Interesting is that I found an old Marlin 336A made in 1947, and the factory receiver sight on it is fine at 400 yds - at the highest position no less. What is a Smith sight? , and why is it not Legal?

The Smith sight is similar to the ladder sight that adorns the 1860 Henry, it has a flip up staff that has a sliding cross piece with a "V" in the top for sighting. And is legal for SASS Long Range or main match use; along with a tang sight.

Your receiver sight is not legal for either SASS Long Range or main match use.

My 94 is a carbine. I like the looks of the ladder sight alot. I have used them on old military bolt action rifles. Are the globe sights SASS legal? The Williams is really a great sight and will be missed.

My 94 is a carbine. I like the looks of the ladder sight alot. I have used them on old military bolt action rifles. Are the globe sights SASS legal? The Williams is really a great sight and will be missed.

If the globe sight isn't legal, then I've been breaking the rules since 1989 when I built this rifle! (Same rifle as pics with tang and globe detailed above).

Alright Brownell's has the M-95 Long Range Sight by Smith Enterprise in stock. It is indeed pricey but it is inside my budget for a long range shooter. Advice seems to point towards a Lyman 17 front sight. I'm looking at that on Brownells as well. There is several different sub models. Which one fits my application?

Thanks.

Archived