on

the target

and

apply proper trigger pull"

geeeeese

slimming down might work--------------teeee-heeeee

thats a lot of stuff ta move around (all them show muscels) :lol: :lol: :lol:

**SNIFF** :( You mean you been lyin' to me all these years? **SNIFF**

And people call me silly. You know darn good and well I'm not gonna take responsibility for my own pi$$ poor shooting. You're just the closest, most feeble, simple minded cowpoke around that I could blame it on. :P I'd try to blame Sour Kraut but she'd shoot me. And SHE doesn't miss. :blush:

Don't listen to me because I have only shot two Cowboy matches so I really know nothing about this. At this time, I am not worried about speed, just gun safety, manipulation, and making the steel ring.

In my past though, I have shot steel. Speed steel. With fancy and stock semi-auto guns. To be faster than you ever thought you could be, you need to just let it go and allow yourself to jump over the cliff while you are shooting. I cannot think of a way to describe it, you just have to totally let go and before you know it, you have knocked them all down. If you do it, you won't really know how you did it. I can't describe it any better. Sorry.

Edit to add: personal requirements for great sight picture, alignment, trigger control, and gun mounting perfection just slow you down. Good is usually enough. Perfect slows you down.

You've known me for what, about four years now? When have you EVER seen me do anything small??? :lol:

I take the fifth!

Philly your a pretty big feller, and I'd imagine you seen the inside of a weight room a time or two. Have you ever thrown shot or disc, or partake in an intricate lift like clean and jerk or a power snatch?

My track and field days were when I was carrying a LOT less tonnage. I used to run the mile and 2 mile. :lol:

As far as lifting no, I've never done explosive movements. Always too scared of destroying my back or knees. And here I sit after 20 years of lifting having had one knee repaired that I tore up doing squats and staring at having to have a disk in my lower back repaired because I wasn't careful during a stinkin' warm-up set of deadlifts. :(

Having said all that, I get the feeling you were going somewhere with your line of questioning. Please continue. :)

Dang Slim, long distance SUCKS, I once ran the open 400m in HS, not fun! So maybe you can relate, comparing things helps me figure out ways to improve or at least gain some perspective. Hopefully the below makes some sense.

Slim;

You need to pay attention to your fundamentals. It's not enough to just drill; make certain that you are gripping the pistols EXACTLY the same, every time, with each gun. This is especially important for Duelists; in the heat of speed and andrenaline, make certain that you grip the pistol correctly; pay attention to the location of the trigger finger. A big guy like you can really influence the terminal delivery by how much you push or pull the trigger. Pad only, and press the trigger straight back into the ball of your thumb.

Now, do it fast.

And always remember - you can't miss fast enough to win.

Cheers,

FJT

Like many others on this thread FJT offers first rate advice.

The kinda long winded version of what I was gonna say comparing power lifting and a cowboy stage is that they both are pretty darn complex, and for folks to improve, the different pieces to a stage, or a successful lift, have to be broken down and practiced.

Clean and Jerk has: a dead lift, pull, catch, a set, and then the jerk

Cowboy stage has: 4 guns, staging, transitions,and more than likely 20 + shots

In both sports the above are broken down while practicing, with the main goal to strive towards (just like FJT said)SOLID fundamentals. The way I see it both sports fundamentals like grip, foot position, form; in cowboy shooting I view quick target acquisition and decisive trigger pull as part of the fundamentals of shooting each gun, just like a good grip is part of all the movements needed for a clean and jerk. To be successful a person's fundamentals HAVE to be on lock or it is gonna throw a wrench in the end result, which will mean a bad stage or a failed lift. IMHO there is really is no speeding up on match day, that's like rolling up to the bar and saying "I'm gonna grip this bar extra hard and I'll be able to lift more weight," not how it works and not conducive to success(remember this is my mileage).

So I suppose my point is (IMHO) that pushing for speed on match day or at the shooting line is not a sustainable way of improving your scores, you might be able to pull off a few bad ass stages, but the train is a comin and its comin up on some bad track. I think the last thing one should do is try and speed up. Instead they should trust in their practice, focus on what you have to focus on to hit targets, AND THE TIME WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF.

Just a punk kid that used to pickup heavy things perspective.

Its worth the price

Best Brim.

Dang Slim, long distance SUCKS, I once ran the open 400m in HS, not fun! So maybe you can relate, comparing things helps me figure out ways to improve or at least gain some perspective. Hopefully the below makes some sense.

Like many others on this thread FJT offers first rate advice.

The kinda long winded version of what I was gonna say comparing power lifting and a cowboy stage is that they both are pretty darn complex, and for folks to improve, the different pieces to a stage, or a successful lift, have to be broken down and practiced.

Clean and Jerk has: a dead lift, pull, catch, a set, and then the jerk

Cowboy stage has: 4 guns, staging, transitions,and more than likely 20 + shots

In both sports the above are broken down while practicing, with the main goal to strive towards (just like FJT said)SOLID fundamentals. The way I see it both sports fundamentals like grip, foot position, form; in cowboy shooting I view quick target acquisition and decisive trigger pull as part of the fundamentals of shooting each gun, just like a good grip is part of all the movements needed for a clean and jerk. To be successful a person's fundamentals HAVE to be on lock or it is gonna throw a wrench in the end result, which will mean a bad stage or a failed lift. IMHO there is really is no speeding up on match day, that's like rolling up to the bar and saying "I'm gonna grip this bar extra hard and I'll be able to lift more weight," not how it works and not conducive to success(remember this is my mileage).

So I suppose my point is (IMHO) that pushing for speed on match day or at the shooting line is not a sustainable way of improving your scores, you might be able to pull off a few bad ass stages, but the train is a comin and its comin up on some bad track. I think the last thing one should do is try and speed up. Instead they should trust in their practice, focus on what you have to focus on to hit targets, AND THE TIME WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF.

Just a punk kid that used to pickup heavy things perspective.

Its worth the price

Best Brim.

While you were working on your fundamentals when you were lifting did you ever pick up anything heavier from one workout to the the next or did you pick up the same weight every day, day after day, but with better and better fundamentals?

Nobody is saying fundamentals aren't important. They are critical. All I am saying is you can have perfect fundamentals and not shoot any faster unless you practice shooting faster.

You have to secure that flawless grip faster than you did yesterday. You have to acquire the next target faster than you did yesterday. You have to squeeze the trigger and follow through your shot faster than you did yesterday. In fact you have to get to the point where you squeeze and follow through so fast you don't even know you are doing it. If you don't you will be shooting at the same speed you did yesterday.

While you were working on your fundamentals when you were lifting did you ever pick up anything heavier from one workout to the the next or did you pick up the same weight every day, day after day, but with better and better fundamentals?

Absolutely, that's what practice is for, training and pushing your limits.

Nobody is saying fundamentals aren't important. They are critical. All I am saying is you can have perfect fundamentals and not shoot any faster unless you practice shooting faster.

I agree 100%. IMHO I think that speed is fundamental in our sport

You have to secure that flawless grip faster than you did yesterday. You have to acquire the next target faster than you did yesterday. You have to squeeze the trigger and follow through your shot faster than you did yesterday. In fact you have to get to the point where you squeeze and follow through so fast you don't even know you are doing it. If you don't you will be shooting at the same speed you did yesterday.

Yes sir, practice is where you get faster.

I suppose I was just tryin to relate shooting to an activity that I incorrectly stereotyped Slim to have partaken in. Other than that I am pretty sure we see eye to eye on the subject.

Cheers.

Brim

Yes sir, practice is where you get faster.

I suppose I was just tryin to relate shooting to an activity that I incorrectly stereotyped Slim to have partaken in. Other than that I am pretty sure we see eye to eye on the subject.

Cheers.

Brim

Most Cowboy shooters I know use monthlies as their practice. In my neck of the woods there is only one practice opportunity per month, but monthly matches happen nearly every week. While dry firing is great, nothing beats rounds down range.

Most Cowboy shooters I know use monthlies as their practice. In my neck of the woods there is only one practice opportunity per month, but monthly matches happen nearly every week. While dry firing is great, nothing beats rounds down range.

Monthly match. A middle pack shooter shoots say 30 sec. stages. 6 x 30 = 180 seconds per match. That's 3 minutes per month. Or 36 minutes per year of practice?

He-he-he. I sure hope that's all the other gunfighters 'practice' this year...

PS

Monthly match. A middle pack shooter shoots say 30 sec. stages. 6 x 30 = 180 seconds per match. That's 3 minutes per month. Or 36 minutes per year of practice?

He-he-he. I sure hope that's all the other gunfighters 'practice' this year...

PS

You noticed that I said around here you can attend a match or two every week, but most of us only dream about having our own shooting range and all the ammunition a sponsor will provide. :rolleyes:

You must be one lucky man. :)

Your general observation about limited practice time is very relevant. Most "middle of the pack" shooters don't have the opportunity to practice as much as they would like. I bet you that if everybody shooting cowboy had the resources to and did shoot 400-500 rounds a day every day, some of the very biggest household names in cowboy shooting would sink to the middle of the pack.

No, we aren't talking sprinting, football or basketball where special physical gifts are required.

A daily regime of 400 or 500 properly employed training rounds, coupled with reasonable instruction, could turn most middle of the pack shooters into a top shooter in his or her category. There are some who will never get any faster than they are, but with that kind of training commitment just about anybody in reasonably good health, with good eye sight, could learn to compete very successfully against just about anybody in his or her age category.

If I can convince my employers to give me a year off with pay, my wife to buy me my own range, and some ammunition manufacturer to sponsor me, I will prove it. :lol:

Archived