SASS Wire Forum

45 Shorts....Cowboy Specials....what a blast

Korupt Karl

http://cowboy45special.com/ At a shoot today and ended up talking about 45 cowboy specials with a couple of pards. One used my pistols and shot the rounds for one stage and fell in love.

While trimming a 45 LC casing will save a few bucks, the case stays too thick by about 8 thousandths at the crimp which makes it tough on and stiff with the sizing and crimping. The cowboy specials are from starline and are tapered to make for a great crimp. Using them with 160's is the way to go. I use my 45acp dies and my 45 LC base plate and they go together like butter.

If you haven't checked out the Cowboy Special....check the site above or contact Adirondack Jack...he's on the wire a lot.

KK

I like 'em loaded with a compressed charge of FFFg Schuetzen under the lil 164 grain 44SLIM Big Lube bullets. The 150 grain EPP-UG is also great with a similar load. Plenty of smoke and full match shooting with no fouling issues.

DD-MDA

I shoot smoklesss Wrangler category in monthly matches: .45 Colts in my OMV.

I shoot FC or FCD at larger matches and APP in .45 Cowboy Special.

Works like a charm. Does a great job and makes it easy to segregate my loads.

I have about 10-12 loadings out of my current batch of brass and they still work great.

http://images44.fotki.com/v220/photos/2/36012/10295030/withwords-vi.jpg

Cowboy45 brass and a C&B Cylinder Conversion go together like cold hands and mittens!

With under 3.6g of Trail Boss and a 170g BIG LUBE 45SLIM bullet, the recoil is just a bit more than a 38 special.

With XXg of Black Powder you get all the fire and fury you could want at half the cost..........

Archived