SASS Wire Forum

Identify these Black Powder guns

Llama Ron

I don't have a clue when it comes to black powder firearms....

who can identify these?

pirate pistol...or Daniel Boone?

cowboy

cowboy

rifle

I'm waiting on a reply about any markings, calibers, etc....and what he wants for them.

1. looks like some kind of foreign percussion single shot pistol

2. is an 1860 Colt Army cap & ball (presumably a reproduction)

3. is presumably a reproduction of a Remington 1858 cap & ball revolver

4. looks like a reproduction of a Hawkin rifle

who can identify these?

1. pirate pistol...or Daniel Boone?

pirate pistol would have been most likely flint. Percussion caps didn't take prominence in firearms until the late 1820s to 1830s... and somewhat later if you were to figure "world-wide". I'd say reproduction given its appearance in the photo.

brass framed reproduction 1860 Army...

again, reproduction of 1858 Remington given its apparent better than good condition and finish

reproduction late fur trade era rifle. I just can't think of the importer that had one that looks just like that.

I'm waiting on a reply about any markings, calibers, etc....and what he wants for them.

1. Modern made very generic single shot percussion pistol possibly trying for an 1830ish impression based on the drum. Lots of these made and imported over the years from a variety of manufacturers as well as kit versions. Leaning toward a restock or parts set of some kind as the wood seems better than most and the ramrod thimbles are wrong (almost appear to have the entry thimble mounted ahead of the lead thimble) hard to tell by the picture.

2. 1860 Army reproduction, but with incorrect brass frame.

3. 1858 Remington reproduction.

4. Modern made, very generic single shot percussion rifle. Like the pistol, lots of these have been made and imported by a variety of manufacturers. Marketed under different names, most often as a "Hawken" but not even close to the original.

If you want more specific info you need to look for makers marks, etc.

#1 & #4 are both reproductions of late frontier period, percussion, or "cap & ball", muzzleloading firearms.

Repros are commonly found in .45 or .50 cal.

The rifle is a copy of a "Hawkins Rifle" and from the looks of the patch-box on the butt stock, it was made by CVA, or "Connecticut Valley Arms"

Others milage may vary....

who can identify these?

Reproduction of a single shot muzzleloader. possibly .45 or .50 caliber

1851 brass frame with 1860 barrel and ram....again another reproduction. hard to say, but I'm guessing .44 caliber from the look of the ram.

3.Reproduction 1858 Remington. Maybe Uberti. Can't really tell caliber from this view.

4.Another reproduction. Appears to be a CVA Hawken, more'n likely .50 caliber.

Howdy LR,

The first pistol is a CVA Kentucky and the Rifle looks like an Italian copy of a T/C Hawken. The rifle could have been imported by CVA or any number of other importers. The two revolvers are repros that could have been imported by many, however, look real closely at the Remington. If it has Santa Barbara proofing marks, it was made in spain and was one of the finest repros ever imported.

Reverend Chase

who can identify these?

pirate pistol...or Daniel Boone?

cowboy

cowboy

rifle

#1 looks like a Lyman Trade Pistol from the late 70's or early 80'.... 19 70's and 80's...LOL

#2 looks like a Pietta 1860 Army in .44 caliber. Only Pietta made them in brass frames as far as I know.

#3 looks like a repro 1858 Remington in .44 caliber.

#4 is a Lyman Hawken.

1. CVA Kentucky Pistol in .45 Caliber

2. Pietta 1860 Army, .44 Cal

3. Pietta '58 Remington NMA, .44 Caliber

4. Traditions Hawken Rifle in either .45 or .50 Caliber

Ok, what's my prize????

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Archived