SASS Wire Forum

What's the story on Pedersoli lightning pump rifles

James West

Looking to try something new this season, would like to try a lightning pump rifle in 357/38. I have heard horror stories about pump rifles that won't cycle (jam). Can any one give me their opinion on these rifles. Are there any gunsmiths that can make them run FAST & RELIABLE? Are they faster than a short stroked "73" in the right hands? Is Pedersoli the one to go with?

If you're looking for something new, try a different crease in your hat.

A dissertation on Lightnings is long and fraught with danger. All guns can be made to work. The only real variables are cost and time.

Joe LaFives has one for sale over in the classified.

Looks like what you're looking for, one that has been made to work.

Give him a holler he's a straight shooter.

If you're looking for something new, try a different crease in your hat.

A dissertation on Lightnings is long and fraught with danger. All guns can be made to work. The only real variables are cost and time.

The straight hard truth from one of the best lightning mechanics in the business. Adios Sgt. Jake

I have a Pedersoli in 45LC. Runs fine right out of the box, never had a jam. More expensive than a Uberti, but from all the stories I've heard, there's a reason.

I have an AWA Lightning in .45 Colt. Out of the box with no modifications whatsoever, and it runs flawlessly.

When I was considering purchasing a Lightning, I was lucky to see an AWA, Uberti, Beretta and a Taurus all in the same store.

The AWA's action is smooth flawless.

The Uberti and the Beretta had an action that felt like pulling to sheets of sandpaper over each other.

The Taurus was a clunky piece of garbage.

I went with the AWA and I have never regretted it. I am sure that the others can be make to work with effort, but I prefer to have a gun I can use right out of the box with no modifications.

Proviso to above, there have been many, many posts about how the Taurus is good for a tomato stake and little else. Some folks say they have been able to make them work, but the process was so daunting that I don't think it's worth it.

I have never handled a Pedersoli or a USFA. Testimony about them has been everything from great to so so, so keep that in mind.

And then there are origial Colt's. Again, mixed testimony.

All that being said, my AWA Lighting is fast becoming my favorite rifle (I also have a 73, 3 92's and a Henry) I am faster with the Lightning than any of the other guns.

Good luck, and happy shooting.

Looking to try something new this season, would like to try a lightning pump rifle in 357/38. I have heard horror stories about pump rifles that won't cycle (jam). Can any one give me their opinion on these rifles. Are there any gunsmiths that can make them run FAST & RELIABLE? Are they faster than a short stroked "73" in the right hands? Is Pedersoli the one to go with?

I had an AWA that wouldn't/couldn't cycle two rounds in a row. I got rid of it. I currently own a .357/.38spl Baretta (Uberti) Gold Rush. It will only cycle .357's (not .38's) most of the time. Shooting a "pump" fast is totally different than shooting a "lever" action rifle. The faster you cycle a "pump" the more the front sight moves around. There is a reason "Winchester won the west" as the saying goes!

Archived