SASS Wire Forum

Norinco 97

Josey Kidd

going to the gun show this weekend, gonna look for a backup Norinco 97.

what is the serial # range to look for ?

thanks

Festus

Later the year-series number (2 digits at front of serial), the better. 09 XXXXXX is the last production of the IAC to be imported in the standard (non-trench gun) configuration. Anything like 02 or 04 is going to be disappointing. Should have real walnut, not the red stained painted monkey wood (which chips badly to show the creamy white base wood).

Good luck, GJ

I've heard ALOT of cowboys say the same thing that Garrison Joe stated.

But I must say that I may be one of the lucky ones because I have TWO of the 03 series, ONE of the 04 series, and TWO of the 09 series and all of them seem to be great shotguns.

Actually, my 03 series is my main match shotgun. My 04 series is my backup shotgun. And I reserve my 09 series for dry firing and live fire practice only.

I might also add that neither my 03 or 04 series have had any SPECIAL mods. Just alittle slickin up by Curly Bill Kelly and they have served me well for over 2 years now of brutal abuse.

Mileage varies.

..........Widder

And I've got 2 02 series that I have bought from other pards, one used hard and one shot less than a thousand rounds. I've had two of the finest shotgun CAS gunsmiths look at both of them to try to make them reliable ejectors. Both smiths shook their heads, and said, ain't worth putting money into. Both Norinco.

Just reinforces what the general consensus is - the older Norincos were not made to tight quality standards (either in fit or metal). Sometimes they are good enough to run fast and hard and long, sometimes not.

Good luck with your hunt. GJ

Mine is either an 03 or and 04.

Except for a broken hook screw 6 years ago, it has never missed a beat.IAC sent a new and free screw within a few days. Mine has screw in chokes, and was smooth right out of the box. I maded it a little smoother by polishing the bolt and the sides of the carrier and that's about it.

The quality of some of the guns can be "spotty". I would suggest you try to cycle some dummy rounds(no components just a crimped hull) to see how they feed. Also see how well a used shell that's not crimped ejects.

Just like the original Winchesters, mine will also slam-fire by holding the trigger back and cycling the action.

Archived