SASS Wire Forum

Capitall One

Aces Full Sam Dove

I don't use a CC much, just when I have to for emergencies,

or ordering stuff on line.

So I pay my bill every month.

(Sometimes it may take a month or two, so I pay the outrageous intrust they charge)

Have had this one for 30 years.

This statement, I noticed they charged me a $20.00 'Service Fee'.

I called them and asked: 'What ?'

They told me they started this in Nov 2011.

So it is 20.00 bill forward.

I told them they have a choice.

1. Credit the account 20.00.

2. Cancel the account.

Pick One.

They gave me a 20.00 credit.

I am now in the process of getting another credit card,

which DOES NOT charge a 20.00 yearly fee.

I equate this to, Walking into a store,

and being charged a fee, just to walk in, !!!!!

If you have such a CC,

and they suddenly charged you a 'service fee' to just have the card,

Perhaps you should call them and request a refund.

(And tell everyone you know to do the same)

Just recently a large bank, here in MN,

sent out a letter, that they were now going to charge a 5.00 fee,

for just having a 'Bank Card'.

Their was such a uproar, that they pulled a,

"Gilda Radner" and said: "Never Mind".

I just received a "wonderful" offer from 'em for a "no-fee" card at the miserly interst rate of a mere 22.9%.

What ever happened to usury laws...? :huh:

this and the other fees are the result of the Dodd-Frank banking bill that requires all banks to have a certain level of reserves but then takes away their usuall way of earning those reserves through investing the money in trading bonds and stocks, coupled with the federal reserves low interest rates they can't meet the reserve requirement without getting it from somewhere else. They only part of the bill that made sense was the part that said they could no longer invest in hedge funds, since it was the hedge funds that drove many out of business by shorting their stock in 2008.

I will spare you the details, but an acquaintance of mine just had a very negative run-in with Capital One over a debt that was settled over 3 years ago. While looking into the matter he was told by his bank, a lawyer and other sources that they are notorious for all manner of predatory and questionable down right unscrupulous practices.

I had a CC with Wachovia that charged an annual fee. $35 IIRC. I would call them up and complain about the fee and they would cancel it. Finally oneyear I told them to cancel the card because I was tired of calling them up every year.

As for Capital One, I don't remember why I cancelled their card but The Germinator had a card with them when she passed away. I called them and told them and they said I had to report it to their Probate Department. They transferred me to "The Probate Department" and I got a computer voice "please say and spell the account holder's name" "please say and spell your name" "please say and spell your address." I hung up, figured if they accepted any new charges on the account it was their own &*^%( fault. A while later I got a letter addressed to Linda that said "Because of information received we have lowered your credit limit to $1000, if you would like to know the reasons, please write to . . . ."

Well, the only issue I have had in the last 10 years is that one month, sometime last year, as usual I paid my bill to the penny based on the balance I got from a conversation I had with the CC company the night before. Then, an adjustment to the balance occurred in the time it took to for the check to reach the CC company. Well, I underpaid by 12 cents. There was a $70 interest fee on the card as a result.

Boy that made me mad. :angry:

I called them on the phone and after some stubborn discussions <_< with the person who took the call, I asked for the manager to explain to me how a $70 interest fee on a 12 cents borrow did not constitute "usury". :blink:

The manager opted not to take the call and I was given a credit. ^_^

By the way, been using the same CC company for about 15 years. I still like em.

Archived