SASS Wire Forum

A bit of a story, if you please

I wanted an answer and I was determined to get one. I might not be willing to go as far as my threat, but I wasn't ready to stop just yet. I picked a stick up out of the fire and headed over to Larsen and started cutting away his trousers.

"Charlie, you make sure Flint looks away, last time I castrated a man he threw up and we had to move the camp."

Larsen tried to swallow so he could speak, but words didn't come out. I pulled the cork on a bottle and poured him a mouthful of rot gut whiskey. He licked his lips after swallowing.

"If you have something to say, I'd say it now."

I pressed the blade of the knife in an uncomfortable spot and Larsen finally spoke.

"I'll tell you what I know." he said in a stutter.

I asked a question "Why was Flint McCloud framed for Crazy Horse's murder?"

Larsen replied "I don't know . . . but I know something that might help. The man that Private Gentiles was last seen talking to before his statement was a Stranger"

I shrugged "I guess you think you're funny. I start cutting in 5 seconds unless you have a name."

Larsen shuddered "Sloane Stranger"

I dropped the knife and sat down. Charlie and Flint looked at me without reaction.

After a few minutes I looked at Flint and Charlie. "We have to go to Toostone. Cassidy might remember something useful. I know the name, but little else comes to my recollection"

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Now Colonel I'll follow you to hell and back and I will be packed and ready to ride to Toostone come daylight but my question is---what the hell are we gonna do with Bob and Jake? I've cut men up before but hell the fun is gone out of this one. I sure as hell don't want to just kill 'em. Neither one 'uvem is worth the salt that goes in a buscuit. I can haul 'em around in tha back of my wagon til they rot but that won't solve the problem of what the heck to do with 'em. Speak up man you act as if something has got ahold of yer mind."

Colonel Flint finally raised his head and spoke to Charlie with sadness in his eyes and said, "Charlie,there is someone in Toostone that I think a lot of that I might have to kill and I am not looking forward to that meeting. If my meeting with him produces the information I need then I know he is the person we are looking for. I just hope and pray it is not him."

"I will just have to sleep on making a decision on what to do with Bob and Jake. I will let you know at day break."

• 2 weeks later...

Well the night passed and morning arrived. Charlie looked to the prisoners and over to me. "J. Mark, I've come to the conclusion these two need to be out of the picture."

I nodded. "With all the cuttin' and such, I figure we had best make sure the bodies stay gone. There's an abandoned mine about 12 miles from here. I say we throw the bodies in and collapse the roof."

Charlie shrugged "Well they ain't quite dead yet."

I smiled "Flint! You wanna do the honors?"

By now, Flint had drunk some coffee with some "fortifier" and had eaten (again)... Under the circumstances, he was in about as good of shape as he was going to be for the next few days at least... With only a little trouble, the big gunman got to his feet and took an extra minute to get his shirt back on and buttoned... Once done, he looked at the two men in question and said, "Aw h#ll" and pulled his nickled Colt and shot them both one time apiece... Both men dropped like they had been hit in the head with a hammer... "They told us everything that they knew and we sure didn't need to have them around any longer... Last thing we would need is for one of them to get free and do something stupid... Now let's get ourselves to Toostone and find out what the heck is going on... Colonel, would you like to enlighten us as to what your thinkin', or would you rather let me stew on it like normal...???"

J. Mark looked at Flint and just grinned... "Grab your horse... we'll talk later" was all he said...

"D@mn... some things never change" was all the Flint said... Charlie rolled his eyes and was already on his wagon...

Vaya con Dios

I've seen some peculiar things happen to men on the run before and I've seen the Colonel when he was on the gov'ment payroll do some crazy things but to see Flint McCloud shoot two men down like they wuz cur dogs just ain't his style. I got me a strange feeling that what we have here is a deep case of gov'ment involvement sommers down tha line and it ain't gonna get any better'n this.

"Git up there hosses, we got trail dust to stir," said Charlie as he cracked his whip above their heads, "Yes sir-ree gov'ment involvement that's what it is."

"I'm wondering who all might remember Sloane Stranger?" I said aloud, as we rode towards Toostone. Sierra Jack Cassidy might well be one of the better historians of Toostone's various battles and outlaw attacks. Many were gone, lost to time or other evil threats. Maybe Marshal Rusty Bore would be of some help. And if it became necessary, there was always Grapeshot. A post commander could pull a lot of strings and he would do so if it was the right thing to do . . . or if it put me in hot water.

"This trip is taking a bit of time McCloud, I suppose the bounty will keep rising as we keep killin folks. . . heck it might get to where a fellow could make a few dollars collecting it."

Flint McCloud grinned "You wanna try J. Mark" I chuckled. "There is no trying, either you do a thing or you don't-that being said, what I had in mind was turning in one of those bounty hunter and seeing if it might calm things down."

Charlie shook his head "Too late for that, we done left em all, besides, weren't a one big enough to pass for Flint."

I eased my rifle out as Flint moved alongside me. I spoke slow and calm, "Well gentlemen, that too appears to be something that is about to be remedied. On that ridge, just past that fallen tree is a man waiting on us to come into range. I suspect, he'll fit the bill, though I just got a glimpse of him. You two just keep riding while I tend to my horse's feet."

With that said, I dropped to the ground and began to examine 'feet' all the while waiting for my hunch to pan out.

As Charlie and Flint moved ahead another hundred yards I saw I could drop my pretense. The shooter was shifting his position and lining up on McCloud. I eased the Whitworth to my shoulder and lobbed a bolt at his head, watching him drop like a pole axed steer.

Mounting up I made my way to his position as Flint left Charlie and the wagon and met me. Flint got there first and when I arrived he was frowning. "He's big enough to pass, but there's a problem. He's still alive."

My colt jumped out the holster and into my hand, cocking itself along the way "Not a problem."

A groan and a hushed "Hold up" came from the man as he slowly came to. A trickle of blood ran fro his scalp where the Whitworth bolt had grazed him and knocked him out. "Mister, you got one shot at this, so I'd ming my p's and q's if I were you. What's you name and why were you aiming to shoot my friends?"

I climbed down off the wagon and got my crutches and hobbled over to the wounded would be shooter and pulled my skinning knife and told the Colonel to let me have a go at him and I would have him talking in no time at all.

"Hold on a dadgum minute and don't turn that old salt loose on me just yet. Was that a lucky shot, you grazing me, or a bad shot and I'm just a lucky man?"

Charlie said, "If the Colonel wanted you dead you wouldn't be askin' no questions about no lucky shot right now. Best you git that tongue of yours to waggin'or else it won't matter who can shoot good or not. Even I can kill you at this distance."

Flint spoke up and asked, "Now I'm only gonna ask you this just once(as he pulled his long barreled Colt and cocked it). Which one of us were you gonna shoot?"

Colonel J. Mark Flint was already standing there with his Colt cocked and he said, " now wait a minute Flint I was going to shoot him first."

"Hold up" I said as I holstered my colt and looked at Flint and Charlie covering the prisoner "if we stand a chance as passing him off as Flint we'll need to think about this. He needs a shave and that means, afterwards he'll be pale on his cheeks. His hands won't pass either, too rough . . . from working. We'll need to beat em up and let them swell and discolor before he's dead. We need a couple of days to get him ready. Now the question is should we do this"

The sound of two hammers easing back caused me to turn slowly and an even bigger bearded stranger was standing behind us with a double barrel 10 gauge leveled in our direction

"I reckon not, you can try, but I wouldn't suggest it, a 10 ga makes an awful mess at this range. Name's Blackwater Desperado -put away your guns and let's have a talk."

Blackwater looked over the three hombres standing and slowly measured them up. "You'll be Col. Flint," he said slowly. "I recognise ol' Cherokee Charlie from my time over Georgia way, and from the description on them dodgers I been seein, you're Flint McCloud," he said looking at each of them in turn.

"The Desperado part of the name comes from a little dust-up I had a hand in back over in Oklahoma. Some idjit newspaper man hung that moniker on me, so I guess it's stuck now," he explained as he lowered the hammers on the old Parker. "Y'all notice this pilgrim ya' creased ain't packin' no rifle? That's 'cause I sent him out here to watch the road and let me know when he saw ol' Flint here pass through."

Blackwater pulled a badge out of his shirt pocket and tossed it to J. Mark. "I'm fairly sure that ol' Flint there didn't have nothin to do with the killin' he's wanted for. Ain't his style," the bearded U.S. Marshal smiled. "Now if you fellers'll help my deputy to his feet and throw him in the back of that wagon, I'll grab his horse 'n' mine and meet ya's back at the road. I got camp set up half a mile from here an' there's coffee and a bottle of who hit John a waitin' on us."

"Flint,Colonel--does that mean we are under arrest or are we gonna be guest of U.S. Marshall Blackwater Desperado? I'm a little uneasy wif this sitj'ashun. Make dang sure that deputy can't get his hands on a gun while he rides in tha back of my wagon. He's got a head wound and he might just go off his rocker and shoot me in tha back."

Charlie then asked the Colonel, "What do we do now and how are we gonna git away from this Marshall?"

Charlie was worried, and it was evident to Blackwater. "Don't get yer knickers in a twist there, Charlie. I'm wantin' the ones that's behind this nonsense. I figure if you three'll kinda' play along, we can come up with a plan that'll clear ol' Flint here, and we can avoid gettin' him and some of the rest of ya's killed or skinned."

Cherokee looked dubiously at the deputy,"What about that galoot? Is he goin' along with all of this?"

"He'll do what I tell him," Blackwater grumbled, "and I'm tellin' him to go back to Cheyenne and take care of what I'm neglecting to come down here and investigate. There's a rat in the cupbord and I've been tolt to catch him!"

"Just the same, I'll feel better if he ain't wallerin' around back of the wagon with a gun!" Charlie said as he slid the deputy's colt out of it's holster and stuck it into his belt.

"Suit yerself," the deputy groused as he attempted to climb into the wagon. "My head hurts and the sooner we get to camp and I get a little whiskey and some rest, the better."

Flint winced as he helped the deputy onto the wagon and then grabbed his side.

"Don't you get yourself to bleeding again," J. Mark warned. "I ain't about to spend my time nursemaidin' you and this deputy. Marshal Desperado, what kind of plan do you have in mind? I say we keep shootin' and skinning 'til we've shot or skinned the right one!"

"My kinda' man," the big man chuckled. "But if you get too many of the wrong ones you'll end up dead sooner yourself. 'Sides I've just about run out of places to hide the bodies, and it's gettin' harder to explain to my superiors where they went!" He gave Col. Flint a look and said, "Call me BLackwater if you want to. That Desperado thing has got real old."

Blackwater walked into the bushes and returned with two horses. He climbed onto a big blue roan and nudged the horse up the trail toward Toostone. "Camp's up here a ways. You comin'?" he called over his shoulder.

• 2 weeks later...

The coffee pot was thumping and steaming at the edge of the fire. The smell of the strong brew filled Blackwater's nostrils as he rode toward the camp. He reined up at the edge of the clearing and looked slowly around the underbrush, studying every angle to see that no one had been in or out since he'd left.

He wondered if his invitation would be accepted. Cherokee Charlie wasn't the trusting kind and Flint was hard to read. The marshal stepped down from his saddle and listened to the sounds from the road. Maybe they'd just dump his deputy at the edge of the road and ride on. He pulled his Remington from it's holster and spun the cylinder to the empty chamber. He dropped another .45 round into the revolver and snapped shut the gate. "Don't trust anybody too much," he thought to himself as he slid the gun back into the shoulder holster.

He could now hear the wagon approaching from a distance. Pulling a flask from his saddlebag, he moved to the other side of the camp to put the fire between himself and the road. Blackwater took a sip of the clear liquid and replaced the cap. "Come on boys. We can help each other if we put our heads together!" he muttered under his breath.

"J. Mark Flint is the one that could make or break the deal," he mused. "He's as cold and methodical as I am if not more, and some calculated planning is what we need to make brute force and raw nerve work for us."

"I don't see or hear any BS from this Blackwater feller, so I'd throw in with him if you want Flint. It's your name that is on the line, but all of our lives at this point. Still we've ridden together enough that I'll follow your lead."

Flint scratched his head and spit. "But how do you know?"

I stood up. "Marshal Blackwater, I think Flint McCloud needs to disappear for a while. I got a place to stash him and can be back in two days. Do you object to Charlie staying with you while I put him somewhere safe?"

Blackwater shrugged "If you think he'll be safe, I got no problems. If you don't trust me, just ride on." I looked to Flint "Saddle up" I said as I reached for my saddle. Charlie started to protest and I looked at him "Charlie, just follow my lead for a bit."

10 minute later Flint and I were riding.

"This doesn't prove anything, Colonel, he might just kill Charlie without witnesses."

I eased up on the reins and pulled along side Flint. "Might try, Charlie is tougher than shoe leather-besides we won't be gone that long. I wanna see what those fellows do after a bit. They come after us, we kill em. They wait, then I say we give them a chance."

Flint grunted "You bring any grub?"

The Colonel chuckled and said "Leave it to you to ask a question like that in a situation like this"... and then "Yeah, I've got some grub with me... But I do the cooking... Remember... you can't cook"...

The big gunman turned a feliciously sour look to J. Mark and said "Well... I'm gettin' better... Least ways no one's died from ettin' it"

J. Mark did miss a beat and said "Yet"... with a self-satisfied smirk on his face...

Flint said, "As to your question before... we rode together enough that I trust ya' if'n you think this Blackwater feller is square... We can throw in with him or him with us... But I'll sleep with one eye open for awhile"...

"Fair enough" the Colonel said...

The pair rode along in silence for a few minutes and Flint finally started, "Where we goin', anyways...???"

"You'll see" J. Mark replied...

"Great... still bein' kept in the dark..." and shortly thereafter the big gunman said... "Now tell me about this grub"...

Vaya con Dios

Blackwater went about rustling up some vittles. "Charlie! I gots some salt pork and some taters and there's another sack of Arbuckles in them saddlebags over yonder. You think that derned deputy of mine kin fetch us some water?"

Cherokee Charlie didn't seem too pleased to let the deputy out of his sight, but he shifted around so he could watch the horses. "He kin fetch water if he's able, but nobody leaves camp without my sayso," he growled.

"Boy, go get us some water and come right back. You sing or somethin' so's ol' Charlie can hear you," Blackwater told the deputy.

To Charlie he said, "I ain't aimin' to pry, but is the place where Col. J. Mark's takin' McCloud as secure as he says?"

"Don't ask too many questions," Charlie barked, "I don't know that I trust you an' if you try to muck this up I'll skin you real slow. Sing louder deputy!!"

The deputy returned with the water and set the bucket down. "Marshal, when do you want me to leave for Cheyenne?"

"You ain't leavin' 'til the Col. gets back!" Blackwater and Cherokee said in unison.

"We'll wait right here so everybody is on the same page," the marshal continued. "put some of that water in the pot and make some coffee." To Charlie he said,"Care for a snort?" as he offered the flask he'd taken a slug from earlier.

Hot damn I'm as nerveous as doe in heat being here with this deputy and this Marshall which I don't trust none a'tall. Colonel J. Mark Flint can just get hisself back here on the double. Wish I knew where he wuz takin' Flint. But if I knew someone could beat it out of me. Not knowin' is a good thing. I will just keep busy and bide my time while the Col. is gone.

"That's good sippin' whiskey,Marshall,thanks. It it the spot," said Charlie.

"Charlie, there ain't much I can do or say that'll convince you I'm with you fellers on this." Blackwater offered. "I know of you from a ways back when you was in Georgia. I'm originally from up Nashville way, and made a few passes down towards Huntsville and Dalton. Do you know an ol' boy name of Lickskillet Charlie? Me 'n' him did some work together right after the carpet baggers lost their stingers a few years ago."

"I know Lickskillet." Charlie replied. "He ain't much of a reference. As I recall, he's been known to straddle the line of the law on a right regular basis."

"And you ain't I suppose?" Blackwater chuckled. "Where's yer plate? This food's almost ready! Boy get Charlie's kit outta' that wagon! Let's eat!"

"Hell! I ain't no saint myself!" the marshal continued. "If it wasn't for this marshal's badge, there's a few places I'd not be able to show my face, and I've been on a dodger or two in my day." Blackwater dumped some of the smoking meat onto each plate in turn then picked up a hook and pulled a Dutch oven out of the ashes and took off the lid. "Biscuits anybody?"

"Is that coffee done?" Charlie asked.

"Boy! Fetch the man some coffee!" Blackwater ordered. "When you get through eatin', move the wagon over yonder where it can't be seen from the road and then see to the horses."

Slowly I worked my horse through a seemingly impassable thicket. McCloud followed and I talked as we went. "Don't lose sight of me or wander from my path Flint, this place is littered with sinkholes and bottomless pits and worse."

McCloud gave a nervous chuckle "What's worse than a bottomless pit?"

I grinned, "One with a bottom about 45-50 feet down, bust a man up beyond healing, but won't always kill him. It's worse in the cool weather, the snakes are asleep and won't finish him off."

I imagined Flint moving his horse a bit closer as I pulled up. "Come give me a hand." I led flint along and grabbed the end of an heavy canvas tarp. I pulled it back and two gatling guns and a trunk full of magazines greeted our sight.

"Gonna need some cleaning once we haul them out of here."

"Don't know how long the col. is gonna' be, but I've been awake for nearly three days and I could use some shuteye," Blackwater told the deputy and Cherokee Charlie. "Deputy, you clean up the pans and stow the grub. Short of shootin' me you do whatever this man tells you ta' do," he continued, nodding toward Charlie.

The marshal leaned back against his saddle and tipped his hat down over his eyes. He pulled the old blue Remington from it's holster and laid it accross his chest. "Y'all wake me up quiet like if anybody 'sides the col. shows up."

"He don't appear to be afraid of much," Cherokee whispered to the deputy after the lawman had dozed for a while.

"He's been near killed twice since I knowed him and I never seen 'im fail ta' scratch when he was challenged," the deputy replied. "He's a hard assed ol' rooster, but he's taught me a lot."

"How'd the two of you wind up out here lookin' for ol' Flint?" Charlie asked.

"A telegraph message come in back in Cheyenne," the deputy answered. "He took one look at it and I thought somebody'd stomped on his grave. He hollered for me to saddle the horses and get his gear. Next thing I know we're out here and I'm bouncin' down the road in the back of that wagon with my head wrapped up and seein' stars."

"Deputy, I suspect you wasn't nothin' but bait back there. He ain't taught you not to skyline yerself yet has he?" Charlie chuckled.

"I reckon not. But he got the drop on all of you!" the deputy snorted. "I mean no offense, but you'd do well ta' join up with that one. He sets his jaw and somebody's gonna' likely wind up in a world of hurt, and he thinks alot of the col. and you from what I can tell."

• 2 weeks later...

With the guns clean, Flint McCloud gave a smile. "Never took one of those apart before, I appreciate the lesson. We gonna test fire em?"

I looked at him "We can, but if we do they are gonna need another cleaning-mine's put together right so I'd as soon not."

Flint shrugged and popped a magazine into the top of the Gatling gun he had just finished reassembling and cranked the handle. In short order the gun was empty and the pine tree Flint had aimed at was teetering dangerously.

I took the saddle back off my horse and stoked the fire to wait while Flint cleaned 'his' Gatling.

• 3 weeks later...

Cherokee Charlie was still not at ease. "How well do you know this deputy of yours?" he asked Blackwater.

"I've used him a few times when I needed another gun hand," the marshal explained. "He's always been eager to help out when I had to track some outlaw."

"He got any references?" Charlie wondered aloud, "I mean, what do you know about him? He was awful easy to take back there."

The marshal studied on it for a minute. The deputy wasn't where he'd been told to keep watch when The col. had creased his skull for him, and it wasn't the first time he'd failed to to as he was told. Blackwater had chaulked it up to youth and inexperience, but now that he thought about it...........

"You know, Colonel... I ain't had much experience with Gatlin' Guns... Seen 'em fired and studied on 'em a mite, but seems nobody would let me get close enough ta' one ta' really give it a good shake out..." Flint said...

"I wonder why that might be", J. Mark smiled and continued, "It seems that often times things that you take a shine to come up missin'..."

"I ain't never stolen from friends or kin... or unless I was starvin'... or really needed it... or wanted it bad... or if'n there was a woman involved... or..."

"I get it, I get it... you're a Saint..." J. Mark chuckled... "I happen to know that you aren't really the scoundrel that you let on to being..."

Flint got a bit of twinkle in his eye and said "Yer dangerous close ta' damaging my reputation here..."

"You're secret is safe with me..."

Flint got a little more serious and said, "One thing is for real and for true... I'm not over fond of hidin' from a fight... How long you expect I've gotta hole up like this...??? And more important... what we gonna use them purty Gatlin guns on...???"

"All in good time, Hombre, all in good time..." the Colonel replied in typical Colonel fashion...

"Here we go again... I'm gettin' that mushroom feelin' all over..." Then Flint's countenance took on a mischevious look and he said... "Ya' know... we took outta camp without gettin' any o' that 'Who Hit John'... It's likely to get awful cold and lonesome up here... Could it be that maybe you have a bit for a poor, wounded ridin' partner...???"

"Some things just never change" J. Mark said while shaking his head and fishing a bottle out of his saddlebags...

Vaya con Dios

The more Blackwater thought about things, the more he found that he didn't trust his deputy. "Why wasn't he where he was told to be when the three riders approached?" That one question nagged at him some, but how Flint got mixed up in this assasination crap was the real puzzler.

The latter was why he was here. The former was creating a distraction that he didn't need. Unless something changed for the better, the deputy was out of here as soon as the col. returned.

"Charlie, I'm thinkin' yer right 'bout the deputy there," he said quietly when the deputy was out of earshot. "When the col. comes back, I'm sendin' him packin'. Watch him close so's he don't pull somethin' shady 'til then."

Cherokee growled, "I'd as soon slit his damned throat as to hafta' keep up with him night 'n' day!" He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "We could be rid of him in a hurry that way."

"All in good time, if it comes to that. I ain't in for explainin' where he went unless I hafta'," the marshal chuckled.

The sun had barely peaked high enough above the trees when Blackwater was shaken from his deep sleep by the loud boom from what sounded like a Sharps rifle and it was pretty dang close by.

"Cherokee Charlie,where are you? Deputy, where are you? Damit who shot that rifle? Who shot who?"

"I'm tha one what did tha shooting",said Charlie as he drug the deputy into camp by one heel and seemingly unconsicous. Charlie had to use one crutch to walk in a situation like this but he still got the job done.

"I caught this yahoo with a mirror flashing signals to somebody across that clearing in that clump uv trees. When I seen tha flash of tha mirror come back I shot the reflection and I'm purty dang shore I hit whoever wuz flashin' it."

"Charlie, that's dang near a quarter mile. That would be one hell 'uv a shot if you made it," said Blackwater.

"Ain't sayin' I did 'n I ain't sayin' I didn't. We'll jest have ta go see. What we gonna do wif this yahoo?"

"Didja' clock him, or kill him?" the marshal asked. "If the other'n ain't dead we're found out fer sure, so I 'spec I'd better go have a look."

"He ain't dead yet, but I'm liable to skin him 'fore you get back," Charlie grinned mercilessly.

"Nah!! If he's still alive we need to find out what he knows and who's he with," Blackwater shook his head slowly. "Keep him alive 'til I get back. We'll roast the bastard if he don't talk!"

Charlie hadn't seen the Apache way of slowly cooking the life out of a captive. He'd seen some nasty things, but this promised to be special. He hoped the deputy wouldn't talk. He'd carve some off'n him to add to the fun!

Blackwater shoved two fresh shells into the 10ga, put a sixth round in the Remington and holstered it, then took off his hat and tied a black bandana around his head. He nodded to Charlie and started off into the brush.

"Across the road 'bout five hundred yards on the uphill side." Charlie called softly and pointed.

As Flint and I finished the bottle, we heard the sound of a single rider in the distance. Flint bristled up and I stood to take a look. The rider was still a half mile off when he crossed the skyline and I sat down unconcerned.

"It's just Billy bringing me something I asked for."

Flint looked at me "You can't be telling me that Billy knew where to meet us even though he's been gone for two weeks."

I smiled-"No, but I told him where to go and that's why we're here"

Soon Billy trotted into camp and slipped off his horse handing me his saddlebags. "It's in there Colonel, just like you asked."

I smiled and pulled out a letter and handed it to Flint McCloud to read.

"Flint McCloud is in the lawful custody of Acting US Marshal J. Mark Flint. Any interference shall be punishable as a Federal Offense. Judge Issac Parker"

"Wish the col. would get his tail back here, damn it!" Blackwater grumbled as he looked around before crossing the road. "I'm tired of settin' around waitin' fer something ta' happen." He looked around one more time and then ambled as quickly as his legs would carry him to a clump of brush along side the road on the other side. He looked up the hill and saw a likely spot for the location of the hombre that Charlie had shot at.

Moving carefully to hide his own location and to keep from being waylaid himself, the marshal spent the next quarter hour creeping up on what he thought was the place. A quick glance revealed a portion of the brush beaten down, signs of a cold camp, a few cigarette buts, and to his satisfaction, a blood trail leading back into the brushy hillside. Blackwater studied the area closely and looked back to where he had started the search. Turning again he saw where Charlie's bullet has struck a small tree. "Through and through," he muttered as he picked up the blood trail and slowly followed into the undergrowth. "Probably bleed out if he's alone," he thought ruefully. "I'd like to know who's behind all of this. If whoever is alive maybe I can find a few things out."

A shot roared from just in fron of him and the 10ga thundered in his hands as if to answer. The smoke billowed and Blackwater heard brush cracking off down the hill. "Give it up! I'm a U.S. Marshal!" he yelled as he jammed two more shells into the opened breech and slammed shut the big shotgun.

He charged down the hill and nearly tripped over the prone figure of the mangled bushwhacker. "Damn! This one won't be tellin' nothin'!" he cursed loudly as he turned and went back up the hill.

Picking up the blood trail he soon found the second wounded spy. "This one won't be any good either. He's done for." The wounded man was lying on his back where his partner had tried to staunch the bleeding. "Ol' man can rightly hit what he aims for," he mused, thinking of Cherokee Charlie and that big rifle of his as this antagonist drew a last struggling breath and released it.

The marshal went through the man's pockets and quickly stuffed everything into one of his own. He returned to the man he'd blasted with the scattergun and checked him over as well. He found a few papers and one of the dodgers with Flint's description as well. "Shoulda' took a look for their horses while I was up there," he muttered as he again walked up the hill.

"What'd ya' find?" Charlie demanded as Blackwater returned to camp. He'd tied the deputy to a middlig sized tree and taken his boots and socks. The deputy hadn't awakened as of yet.

"There was two of 'em. You done for the one and I got the other. Neither one was talkin' when I found 'em." Blackwater dumped a blanket with two pistol rigs and two rifles next to the fire. "We need to go through these papers to see if we can find out anything. Where's the dang col. when we need him?" he wondered aloud as he handed Charlie the contents of both the dead men's pockets and saddle bags. "I pulled their saddles and chased off the horses. The saddlebags and tac are out by the road under some brush," he said. "I'll get 'em after while."

"Set down and let me have a look at that!" Charlie ordered.

"What?" the marshal looked puzzled.

"That bastard winged ya'!" Charlie answered as he swiped the blood from Blackwater's upper arm.

"Hell!" he grunted as he looked at the wound for the first time, "I guess I was so jacked up I never felt it."

The marshal shrugged as he sat down and let the older man examine the damage.

"Charlie,I guess you was right after all 'bout that deputy 'uv mine. I got to admit when we was first throwed together I thought you were just a cantankerous old buzzard but I guess you got a way about you on trustin' a man," said Blackwater as he yelped when Charlie put some kind of snakeoil on his wound.

"Hold still so's I can clean this wound. We can't have you coming down with no infections out here on the trail. Why I whould have ta cut that arm off 'n I know you don't want me ta do that,now do ya?"

In the short time that Charlie had been with Blackwater he had mistrusted him because of the deputy. Maybe he is on the square. Maybe he has Flint's welfare as a priority and is not looking for a reward. "All this is just too much for an old scout to figgur out. Hell, I'm use to the Col. doing all the thinking," thought Charlie.

"OK, just sos you and me are going the same way 'round the bush... you ain't askin' me ta' give up my iron are ya'...??? 'cuz I'll come clean, that ain't gonna happen..." the big gunman said...

J. Mark shook his head and chuckled, "No, Flint... I'd just as soon you had those guns... they ought to come in right handy before long..."

"Good enough" Flint said, "I wasn't exactly looking forward to a throwdown with you for several reasons... You takin' Billy with you when you go back to camp"

"I believe that I will... With everybody not quite trusting everybody else, I don't believe that I want to spring any more surprises on anybody that I don't have to... Charlie is nervous enough right now just to shoot him on principal..." and both men laughed at the though... Billy didn't seem too amused however...

"Well, now that we have these guns and ammo, and Billy brought what you asked, what's the next play...?" Flint asked...

"This is what I was thinking..." and J. Mark started talking... It was bold, but it had The Colonel written all over it...

Vaya con Dios

Charlie had buffaloed the deputy with the barrel of his rifle. There was a nasty gash over his left ear and dried blood down trailed down the side of his face extending into a blackening pool on the ground beside his head. The bleeding had stopped. He laid face down in a heap where Charlie had dropped his leg as he dragged him back into the camp. Blackwater walked over and nudged him with the toe of the logging boot he wore. There was no response. Suddenly the marshal drew back his foot and drove it into the ribcage of the fallen man. There was a heavy grunt, but the downed deputy still didn't move further.

"He's still out," the marshal grunted. "You sure enough dented his skull!" he added.

"You puttin' the boots to him didn't do anything good fer 'em neither," Cherokee chuckled.

Blackwater scowled angrily. "I'll roast that bastard if he don't give us the answers we're lookin' for when he DOES come too!" He rolled the deputy over and studied the still unconsious man. "He's gonna' wish he'd never been born when I get through with him!"

Blackwater took a length of rope from his saddle bags and tied it to the ankles of the deputy and dragged hin over to the edge of the camp. He studied the tree and threw the rope over a sturdy but still flexible branch, then bagan hauling the unconsious man up, feet first into the tree. When the deputy's head was about four feet off the ground, the marshal tied off the rope to the tree's trunk. He cut a short piece from the remaining end of the rope and bound the deputy's hands to his waist behind his back.

Charlie dumped a small bundle of wood he'd scrounged up under the hanging man. He grinned at the marshal and asked, "Is that enough, or do you want some more?"

"That'll do for now. When or IF he comes too, we'll light us a little fire and make sure he don't get cold." Blackwater turned on his heel and walked back to the campfire and stretched out, resting his head on his saddle. Suddenly he sat up and yelled, "Hey Charlie! Go through that rat's pockets and let's see what he's hiding!"

"Hope we're not late for the festivities" Flint said as we rode into Blackwater's camp and saw the deputy hanging over the better part of a cord of kindling. I chuckled and eased out of the saddle, but drew my rifle in a fluid motion bringing it to my hands as if it had always been there.

"I got a young fellow waiting for my signal to ride in. Two rifle shots, two seconds apart. Any objections?" Seeing as there were none I fired twice into the ground.

"We have some planning to do-but it can wait til after dinner . . . unless that" and I motioned toward the deputy "is on the menu."

Billy rode in and simple introductions were made.

I spoke with Blackwater and he brought me up to speed on the happenings while we were gone. I walked Blackwater over to the pack horses and uncovered the gatling guns.

Blackwater grinned-"Might them beauties have something to do with the plans you have in mind?"

I grinned "I think we should try plan B for a change, Plan A seems ill suited to the task at hand. The guns are part of Plan A should it become necessary as a fall back plan."

McCloud walked up and offered an explanation "With the Colonel, Plan A is always the same. Chart your course and kill anyone that gets in the way."

I chuckled "Close enough. But this time I believe Plan B will better serve us."

Blackwater's interest was up. "Go on."

I nodded "After we eat, but I guess a simple preview wouldn't hurt. In a den of thieves, the honest man is the one in the gravest of danger."

"I reckon ain't none of us in any real danger then," Blackwater chuckled, "Nary one of us ain't wandered over the line a time or two. Col., I know you've packed a star on more than one occasion. I know Flint has been deputized a time or two, and Charlie has stood behind a badge too."

The marshal continued, "I also have seen or heard of every one of ya's takin' liberties with or bendin' the law to suit yer purposes when it was called for, and I admit to doin' the same more than once myself!"

Everyone nodded agreement as they exchanged glances among the group.

"You gonna' warm up that deputy of your's or not?" Cherokee Charlie growled, trying to conceal his anticipation.

"Has he come too yet?" Flint asked. "No point in lightin' a fire under him if'n he cain't feel it or don't know it's happening."

"Yeah! But it'd make me feel better after him sellin' us, and me especially, out to whoever is behind this little adventure," Blackwater's voice rose as he stomped over to the suspended turncoat, "whether or not he can feel it!"

"Blackwater! We need to know who he's workin' for. But a little entertainment wouldn't hurt," Col. Flint winked at the others.

The deputy groaned a little as he swung upside down in the breeze. "He's comin' around!" the marshal called to the others. To the deputy he growled, " We're gonna' eat us some supper and then I'm gonna' slowly roast you unless you tell me everything I want to know. You got 'til we get our grubb eaten to think about it."

"Colonel, what have you got in mind?" Blackwater asked as I cleaned my plate and tucked it back into my kit.

I smiled "Well I figured to form a posse and run that scoundrel Flint McCloud to ground. Heck I figured Flint might even pass for your deputy there if we shaved him clean and cut his hair just right."

Blackwater rubbed his head "So you came up with this plan before you knew my Deputy was on the take?"

I shook my head side to side "Nope, I came up with it before you knew he was on the take. I figured between you and Charlie, y'all would figure it out as soon as Flint was gone long enough to worry your boy. Besides, if we are gonna take a burned body in, whose to say it isn't Flint McCloud against the word of two US Marshals?" With that I handed him the telegrams Billy had brought me.

"You don't really think this will work do you?" Charlie asked.

I shrugged my shoulders "It will work on some folks and not on others. We just have to sell it as best we can and be ready to pull iron if we can't make the sale."

Archived