SASS Wire Forum

A bit of a story, if you please

May 18th, 1878

Private William Gentles laid in his bed resting quietly from the Laudnum prescribed by the Camp Douglas physician. Gentles had no illusions about his "recovery" even though the staff smiled and continued to tell him he was improving. Laudnum was used sparingly for those with a chance and used liberally with the dying. He knew what to expect. He had heard the nurse complain that Laudnum made it harder to breathe, and he already felt like a buffalo was sitting on his chest. The Doctor had shrugged and responded, "You have to tend to him, I am responsible for his treatment, just give him the Laudnum."

As he woke a few hours later and the haze started to clear, he suffered a coughing fit. He finally managed to rise up and get under control. As the nurse came with more Laudnum, he waived her off. "I need some paper and a pen." he said softly, "I have something I need to tell before I die." She didn't bother to argue with him, she simply gathered the paper and a book. Using the book as a table, he laboriously wrote out the note.

"I didn't kill Crazy Horse, last year, but I know who did. Sgt. Kelly was paid $150.00 to say it was me that stabbed Crazy Horse, but the man that sis it wasn't a soldier. His name was Flint McCloud. I saw him, but I never told the truth as he swore he would kill every member of my family."

With that he folded the letter and wrote upon outside "Deliver to the US Marshal" Pvt William Gentles

After he was assured it would be delivered, he took the Laudnum and went to sleep. He never regained full consciousness and two days later his sleep became permanent.

The letter gathered dust for nearly a month before anything was done with it. Finally it was sent to the US Marshal service and when it finally found a place to land it was in the hands of Bass Reeves. As Reeves looked over the letter with George Maledon he frowned "Why did this fall in my lap?" Reeves asked. George shrugged and spoke slowly, "You speak injun, feller that wrote it is dead, might be someone thinks you can find some corroborating evidence."

Reeves looked at him "Could be I'm at the bottom of the heap and shit flows downhill." George suppressed a rare grin. "Maybe so Bass, maybe so"

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flint took his time lolling about in bed... He and the redhead from the night before had hit it fairly well... Well enough that he was still in bed after sunup... I luxury almost never afforded him... In the light of day, the redhead, one Anna Lee Beaumont, could see the scars in his torso... They looked like knife and bullet wounds, and maybe even something else that she didn't even want to think about...

Taking his time, Flint finally looked at not-so-young woman studying him and slipped his shirt on... not because of embarrasment on his part, but to save her from impending unease... He stood and stomped his way into his boots and slung his gunbely around his hips... The boot knife went back in the top of the right boot, and the 3rd Colt got shoved crossdraw into the gunbelt... free from any holster...

"I'll be back in two days... maybe three tops if all goes well, I reckon" said the tall gunman... "If'n yer around, maybe we can have supper again" he said with wry smile broadening across his face...

"If you play your cards right, Cowboy" Anna Lee with a mischevious swish of her hips... Little did either of them know, two days would not see Flint back in town...

Vaya con Dios

I felt old. As I walked around the wagon and checked the wheels and axles, I wondered what in the hell I was doing up in the mountains this late in the spring. Better yet, how in the hell had I ended up hauling freight at 10,000 feet above sea level? Well the answer wasn't hard to figure out. As usual it was one of a few options. I'd seen a girl, or I'd gotten in a fight or some other trouble. This time it was a combination of things. Back in September I had been gambling in Denver and riding a hot streak. It played out finally, but not until I had filled my saddlebags with more money than I could spend in a year. And then there was Billy

Billy was a 15 year old boy. He'd yelled out and alerted me to a couple of thugs waiting to steal my winnings. Two shots later and I'd ended the threat. I bought Billy a horse and gear to get him back home to Kansas as a thank you. Instead, he ended up beaten to a pulp and lying bloody in a ditch. That he survived was a miracle, that he had recovered fully well that was a blessing. So Billy wouldn't accept what he called "my charity" a second time. Best I could do was take a job hauling freight and take Billy on as my shotgun guard.

Billy's sister Diana had come to Denver during his recovery and though she had finally returned home, it was only after exacting a promise that I would come to Kansas in the spring. Diana was in her early 20's and was a school teacher, though she really was too pretty to stay single for long. Out of respect for Billy, I had behaved in a most gentlemanly initially, as it turned out that was the wrong thing to do and in the middle of the night I had found her in my room. What is a man to do?

So here I was checking harnesses, and axles, traces when I came across the brake lever. I looked at it and found a small cut right at the junction of the wood and metal. It was neither accidental, nor easy to find. The cut had been filled with beeswax and dirt. On a grade it would have failed and we would have had to abandon an out of control wagon at best and might have been killed at worst. The only other wagon available was a 10 tonner-I had no desire to try and negtiate mountain trails in that monster.

"Billy, come take a look at this. We're gonna need a new brake handle and we'd best check every inch of this wagon before it's loaded. I know your anxious to see your family, but if we miss anythig like this, we'll be seeing them on the other side."

Billy looked at me funny "The other side of what?" I raised an eyebrow and grinned "Other side of the sod Billy-whatever is waiting for us there, even if it is just worms. I ain't anxious to find out."

For the next two hours Billy crawled under over and inspected the wagon carefully while I carved a new brake handle.

"I think were good J. Mark, want me to get us loaded up?"

I shook my head. "We've lost too much time, we'll start in the morning. Strap on your iron and don't leave the wagon til I get back."

With that I went and got my lunch.

Flint walked out of the Saloon where he had taken a room and walked the two blocks to the Livery... He asked the stable boy to saddle his grulla mustang... Admittedly, a little small for a man of his... stature... but that horse had bottom end when it was needed... and he had needed it more than once...

Once saddled, the big gunfighter flipped the stable boy a silver dollar and with a quick, "thanks"... he was on his way... He had heard about trouble up farther in the Colorodo mining community... Expecting to pick up some bounty... not the first time he'd ever hired his gun... he pointed his horses nose northwest...

"I'll tell you true, Latigo... I'm not fond of them danged higher elevations... Weather can change faster'n a snake can strike, and man, grip, and mount are done for... BUT... seems there might could be some bad men wishing wicked on others up near the Mary Murphy and Newton survey... What say we go make about a years worth of wages and come back and lollygag with that there redheaded lady...???"

As if in reply to a conversation that they were having... Latigo whinnied and shook his head up and down as if to say... "What a great idea... let's go..."

And man and beast headed out of town... Flint pulled his coat a little tighter around him... "I'm feeling a bit of a nip in the air..." He had no idea that was not all he would be feeling... and before too much longer...

Vaya con Dios

Morning came and the wagon was loaded. The underside of the wagon was fitted with a false bottom and 400 pounds of almost pure gold was loaded into it, pulled from the richest vein in the mine. On top, there were a few boxes of high grade ore for the assayer, and the cargo we would preferred not to have carried-, the wrapped up bodies of three miners that had been killed in a blast. Like the cut wagon handle, the blast was no accident and the bodies were to be delivered to the Sheriff for inspection before burial. The cold weather had kept them from getting ripe, but with the spring thaw, it was time for them to be delivered, and buried properly. I hadn't been there when the men had been killed and didn't know them, so to me they were just bodies.

Flint and Latigo headed Northwest to the mines and surveys... There was always somebody that wanted to take away what others had worked hard for... Some would say that the big gunfighter had an odd way of looking at right and wrong if his past was any indication, but for those that knew him... he had a code of honor that he would not brook... He saw things a little differently than than those that sat in high faluting offices and with titles like Senator and Congressman... While still being focused, he let his mind drift to his friends from the past... both those still with us and those that had crossed to the other side... There were many of both...

After some soul cleansing reflection, he thought back to a cattle drive he had been involved with and the men involved... all tough and competent... and then there was the Colonel... Flint had had several adventures with Lt. Colonel J. Mark Flint since that time... and like himself, the lines between legal and outlaw got a bit blurry at times...

"But we did have a helluva time, didn't we Latigo...??? Oh sorry, that was with a couple o' your predecessors... But we had us some times..." the big man said aloud to his mount...

About the time the words left his mouth, he heard rocks moving downhill... Somebody or something was nearby and he wanted to make certain that he wasn't the focus of it... He pulled his '73 and laid it across his lap... now he was in hunter mode...

Vaya con Dios

Billy climbed up after tying my mare onto the back of the wagon. As his butt hit the seat, I cracked the whip on the team of 4 matched gray Percherons all between 18 and 19 hands. I'd furnished my own team and these 4 horses had been imported from France and were said to be perfect examples of the breed. I had been impressed from the first time I'd hitched them to a wagon and they were as strong as any horses I'd ever used. "How far is it to Buena Vista?" Billy asked.

I looked at the roads ahead-"If it was Summer and the roads were dry and clear it would be about a 25 mile trip. With the thaw, figure it closer to 30 and some of it might be hard going."

Billy frowned "So we'll be on the trail overnight?"

I nodded "Unless these horses grow wings, I imagine so. Get some sleep when you can, I suspect once dark comes, it would be best to both be on watch. You spell me in 4 hours, and I'll do the same for you. I doubt we'll get that far before the road has other ideas."

With that Billy pulled his hat down low and tried to rest. Two hours later, I shook him awake "Roads looking rough, probably gonna need your help in a bit. Take my horse and scout ahead about 3 miles and let me know what we're facing."

Bill nodded and looked at the muddy ground, then walked thru the wagon, untied the horse and mounted up. He grinned at me "Pretty smart to keep the mud off!" I chuckled and whistled loudly three times in quick succession. The mare tossed him off in two hops.

I laughed and cracked the whip as he climbed back in the saddle covered in mud.

The big gunfighter kept listening to the sound of rocks and hooves... After a short while, he realized it was another rider on a bisecting trail to the one he was one... Always cautious but not always prudent, he stepped down off the hurricane deck of Latigo with his rifle in hand... He moved quietly up the slope to the other trail... "Ain't no way you catch me unaware" Flint thought and then... "I figure there's still paper on me somewhere, and this day don't end with someone collectin' on that"...

He moved up behind a very old and very large pine tree, waiting to see who was coming... When the sound of the horse and rider was nearly upon him, he stuck his head and rifle around the tree at the same time as he levered a round into the chamber... "Howdy" was all Flint said, as the boy looked up from his daydreaming in the saddle... The youngster saw a very large man with a Winchester pointed at his vital parts...

"Ummm, what, whoa..." said the rider... Flint could see that he wasn't much more than a boy...

"Who you looking for, son" queried the man with the rifle...

"I'm not looking for anybody in particular, Mister" the boy stammered and then continued, "I'm just scouting the trail ahead to make sure there isn't any problems for the wagon"...

"What wagon might that be" asked the big gunman, lowering his rifle just a bit...

"Mr. Flint and I are bringing a wagon load of ore off of the mountain... I'm just making sure the trail is OK..."

"Flint...??? As in J. Mark Flint...???" asked the gunman...

"Yes sir... do you know him...???" asked the boy

"Tell you what I'll do... I'll put this rifle back, and suppose you take me to see Mr. Flint..."

"How do I know you aren't gonna try and rob us...???" asked the youngster in earnest...

"You don't son... and my word probably don't mean a hill o' beans right now... But the way I see it, your choices are limited..."

The youngster slumped his shoulders and said... "I'll take you back... but Mr. Flint isn't anybody to try to get one over on..."

The big man lowered the hammer on his rifle and looked the boy right in the eye and said... "I'm aware of that..."

Vaya con Dios

I heard horses and I heard more than one. Billy wouldn't be due back for a while so I laid my Whitworth across my lap and took my shotgun in my left hand. If that wasn't enough, well I still had a surprise or two tucked away. With that thought in mind I puffed on my cigar and made sure the end stayed cherry red.

On the ride back, Flint found out the boys name was Billy and that the Colonel was a benefactor of his... After a ride of several miles, the boy said "We ought to be close now"... The big man was even more aware than before... he knew what J. Mark was capable of... In the distance, he saw the wagon with a beautiful team harnessed to it... "This has to be it", Flint thought... "The Colonel always had an eye for horseflesh..."

About that time, Flint heard the hammers eared back on a shotgun and then a voice that he knew all too well said, "I heard you were dead..."

The big gunman knew that he was in a bad place and said simply... "I'd prefer not ta' be..."

Vaya con Dios

Now I had always liked Flint McCloud, but liking a man and trusting him aren't exactly the same thing. We'd rode together and shared more than a scrap or two and I trusted the man-he was one of a small group. I pointed the shotgun skyward and eased the hammers down before retuning it to it's rightful place against the footboard.

"How do you know?" I asked grinning. Flint McCloud looked at me confused for a moment "That I'd like to not be dead? Well I suppose I don't know for sure, but finding out is a hell of a risk."

Billy seemed to relax a bit "Sorry I didn't get as far as you wanted, but this fellow, well he was a bit hard to resist."

I looked at him and nodded "Best not to get shot before lunch and all."

"We're heading to Buena Vista, come along if you have nothing better to do." I said.

Flint looked at me and shrugged "Never figured you for a teamster, but I have to admit that is some might pretty horseflesh. How in the world did anyone convince you to get into this line of work?"

I looked over at Billy "Get back on the trail, I still need to know where we are gonna find the roads hard to pass."

Billy rode on and I waited til he was out of earshot. "I took my poker winnings some years ago and grub staked a miner. He made a find, I staked a share of the development and am a silent partner with a 10% stake. I ain't a teamster, but it is a good cover to haul my share out periodically. Damn near had to learn French to get these horses to cooperate, but they are smarter than I am and picked it up."

Flint McCloud whistled, "Always knew you had more dollars than sense, now I know where it comes from, well more or less."

I tossed my cigar after stubbing it out and pulled a couple of sticks of dynamite from inside my vest and wrapped them back in an oilskin and returned them to the box behind the seat. I then took the Whitworth and lowered the hammer on a wooden dowel that held it clear of the percussion cap. I looked back up and grinned, "Have a taste for elk, might be we see some come evening, if you can ride quiet enough."

"Quiet I can do... I did live with Apache fer a spell if you recall..." Flint said with a wry grin... and then, "I do have a hankering for elk... and I see you still have that Whitworth... After you showed me, I ain't done half bad with a long range gun, but when push comes ta' shove... I couldn't keep up with you for love nor money... I ain't ever seen the equal with a long gun... And you ain't too bad with a short gun as I recall..." the big gunman said with a chuckle...

"I was huntin' bounty, but I expect I could ride along... Seems you ain't very far from a scrap at any given time and I'm probably overdue..."

"Well, get mounted... I have an extra cigar if you're so inclined" said the Colonel...

"I'm always 'so inclined'..." Flint said holding out his open hand...

J. Mark handed him a hand-rolled cigar and said, "You need a light...???"

"Thanks... I have my own... I'm afraid o' what might else go up if'n you go lightin' matches..."

The Colonel just chuckled and said... "It seems you do remember..."

Vaya con Dios

(it is more fun if we can get some additional writers)

We managed to make 14 miles as it approached evening, the road was continuing to worsen and we found a dry spot that looked like a likely camp. I looked at Flint McCloud with a grin. "You ever hunt elk with just a bowie knife?"

He looked at me as if I was crazy as I loaded my guns into the back of the wagon, save for a single revolver in my waistband. I patted it "To signal you when I'm ready for help packing the meat out.

McCloud hung his guns across his saddle and tied his grulla to the wagon. He eased his bowie out of the sheath and chuckled. "You won't need that pistol Col. I'll be within shoutin distance."

I left my pistol at the wagon and switched into some moccasins. Time to go get some dinner.

The big gunman said, "There's few things I ain't tried and even less that I'm willin' ta' tackle... Let's have at it..." he said as pulled a Bowie of heroic proportion and shoved it in his belt... And on the other side, he pulled his crossdraw Colt SAA and shoved it in his belt...

"What's that for..." asked the Colonel... "I thought you said you'd be close enough...???"

"Oh this ain't fer signalin'... this here is for two legged pest control..."

J. Mark smiled... reached into the wagon and pulled one of his pistols as well and shoved it into his waistband... It did appear that some things never changed...

The Colonel told Billy to stay put with the wagon, and the two men headed out into the wilds... Billy never heard either of them go...

Vaya con Dios

Without a word, we looked at the terrain ahead and began to move forward and apart working along the upper edge of a shallow draw, staying low so as to not be outlined against the sky. In this manner we moved forward, not loudly, but making enough noise to ease any animal forward. Soon 3 Elk cows eased forward out of the brush.

Exchanging looks I held up 3 fingers indicating the third cow was our target, then I made a sign of "Antlers" reminding Flint that where there were cows, bulls were rarely far behind. Finally I signaled for him to wait. I eased back and around until I was above him and motioned for him to move forward. With my knife pulled I caught the remaining sunlight and reflected it onto the ground in front of the target cow, easing it back and forth a few inches. Slowly the cow's head began to move with the light. Without breaking rhythm, I motioned for Flint to move forward. As he approached the first two cows began to snort and step nervously and eased off into the brush.

The Colonel was at home in this environment... If he made noise, it was because he wanted to make noise... He had picked out the 3rd cow in the herd, but holding out hopes for a Bull... Just before he started in from the top, there came a crash from the brush... A magnificent animal strode out of the trees... A Royal Bull Elk... A Royal has 7 points on each side... This was one outstanding specimen...

J. Mark signalled that the bull was the one we would take... He came from above and Flint came from below... In one swift movement, the Colonel had shoved his Bowie into the bull's heart and the big gunman ran his blade across the animal's throat... He bled just a second before his legs buckled and he went down... Flint took time to give a blessing for the animals life...

The two of them started field dressing the elk... About half way through, there was a crashing in the brush behind them and a growl that sounded like it came from the bowels of hell... J. Mark looked at Flint and both of them said at the same time... "GRIZZLY"...

Vaya con Dios

We each dove into the brush and rolled away from the bear, the elk and each other. Each of us raised our pistols but thankfully Flint had enough sense not to fire. The Grizzly turned toward him and I moved back toward the big boar, snorting in my best bear imitation. As soon as his head turned I stepped back two slow steps. If the bear rushed, he'd close the distance in a heartbeat. My. .38WCF would do nothing to stop a bear this size.I eased into a crouch an turned my head to the side enough to still see him without staring at him.

In the meantime. Flint had used the time to ease back away. The grizzly semed to think I was not a threat and turned to the downed elk. The moment he dropped to all four and took his first step I yelled at the top of my lungs "That's my kill you ... (use your imagination this is a family forum)" with that I charged the bear. Now it was pure luck, but for whatever reason that bear sprinted away a good 50 yards before stopping to look back. With a few quick strokes, I cut away a front quarter and heaved it over my shoulder. Staring at the bear as he eased forward, I took a step to the side. "Now Bear, you can have the rest." I continued to ease away.

As for Flint having any sense, common or otherwise, had been a point of speculation more than once... However, he did know that a .45 against a Grizzly of this size was pretty much a waste of time... He knew that J. Mark was... well, J. Mark... he would have a plan... it might be thin as rolling paper, but he'd have one... When he started yelling at the bear with a .38-40 in one hand a Bowie in the other hand, Flint thought to himself... "Well, I'll take whatever is left back and bury it..."

Once the Colonels ploy worked, they both took off back towards the wagon and the camp... The bear appeared to be both confused and embarrassed by his actions and didn't offer to follow...

J. Mark caught up with Flint on the way back and said, "That was exciting"...

Flint took a second to look at his long time friend and said... "I'm not sure I can take much more of your 'excitement'..."

Vaya con Dios

With the elk quarter on the wagon, I strapped on my gun belt and we headed a bit further down the road. Billy initially protested our tearing down camp, but after Flint told him of our brush with the grizzly, Billy worked quickly and without complaint. We made a few more miles, and though it was dark, we managed to get a small fire going and in its dim light we found enough wood to make it a bigger fire. We each roasted venison chunks on sharpened sticks and the meat sizzling over the fire gave off a pleasant smell. I had had to butcher quickly, but it had been done cleanly and the meat did not have a gamey flavor at all. We were short on seasonings, but still had enough salt to make it tasty.

Flint McCloud was stuffing his face and easily consumed as much as Billy and I put together.

"Billy you take first watch, I don't expect trouble. I am going to get some sleep." I said. and then I thought "After I was this meal down with a bit of good sour mash."

Flint McCloud looked up as he was roasting more of the elk, "You were going to share I assume?"

"I grinned, only if you say the magic words"

With the magic words said, I passed the bottle and we made a few toasts to fallen pards and soon the bottle was empty.

We loaded a stick with hunks of meat and set it high above the fire. We wrapped the balance of the meat in the small scarp of hide and them in a spare fish slicker.

Flint took the second watch and I relieved him. The night was uneventful.

(Sorry... I didn't see your update from the 15th)

After being completely sated on elk and Sourmash, the trio mounted the following morning, heading for their destination... About an hour on the trail, the big gunman said to J. Mark... "So what was yer plan if'n that Griz had spun on you when you went ta' yellin'...???"

The Colonel didn't miss a beat and said, "Well... I believe I would've had a fight on my hands..."

Flint just grinned and said... "I expect..." Then after another few seconds he said, "Y'know... I wouldda at least shot ya' afore the bear got ta' gnawin' on ya' too bad..."

J. Mark said... "I have a host of friends..."

Vaya con Dios

We trailed int Buena Vista mid afternoon and dropped off the bodies at the Sheriff's office and the ore with a local assayer. The false bottom of the wagon concealed my share, so I left the wagon at the livery. No one would be likely to steal an empty wagon, and even if they did, they would be easy to track. With that done I pulled the saddle off my mare and slipped my rifle out and headed for the hotel. Billy started to follow and I looked at him-"You got money for a room?" I asked and he sheepishly shook his head no.

I shook my head in dismay "Well, I suppose I could lend it to you against your pay, but if I were as broke as you I mmight be thinking of asking the livery owner to let me bed down in the barn."

Billy looked at the livery and then at the hotel and continued to follow me.

Flint followed along behind the pair... He was already hankering for some food that he didn't have to help make himself... It had long been said that Flint couldn't cook... and some say that was being nice...

After joining the Colonel and Billy inside, the trio left what belongings they had brought with them in their rooms and decided to get some food, a drink (or several), and a cigar... Adjourning to the Dining Room, the three intrepid wanderers sat down to a fine steak dinner... After several minutes (as there is never much talking when hungry men ate... and Flint was always hungry), J. Mark said... "Have you been listening to the three men at the table in the corner..."

"Yup... what do ya' think...???" the big gunman replied...

"I'm thinking" J. Mark said... "I'll tell you in a minute, but this might be good... or it might be really bad..."

Vaya con Dios

I kept listening. The story was a bit hard to keep up with, but it seemed that Crazy Horse's murderer was not the Private originally accused. Something about a deathbed confession as to a cover up. and the last part I got was that Bass Reeves was heading to the area to conduct the manhunt. He was due in Denver in less than a week.

I looked at Flint McCloud, "Bass Reeves is a good officer, but he has trouble getting cooperation from some of the more ignorant sorts from time to time. Might be he'd welcome a couple of forthright gentlemen with a background in law enforcement to assist him."

Flint McCloud looked at me "And you need the money?"

I smiled back, "No more than you need another helping,but that has never stopped either of us."

With that we finished our meal and made plans to drop the wagon at my place and head for Denver before Bass Reeves had all the help he needed.

After the fine meal, and with a loose plan set (in all fairness, most of J. Mark's and Flint's plans were 'loose' at best)... the trio decided to make ready to head to the Colonel's place and drop off the wagon (and contents) and then move forthwith towards Denver...

"How are the roads to yer place... especially if we're gonna be travelin' after dark...??? You might recall I ain't never been to yer spread in all the time I knowed ya... Seems we were always too busy gettin' shot at, stabbed, or blowed up..." Flint asked of J. Mark...

"Well, it's tucked away... it'll be well after morning before we get to the 'tricky' part..." the Colonel said without expression...

"That's comforting..." said the big man...

Vaya con Dios

It was late morning before we approached the "tricky" part. To the naked eye it looked like we were riding toward a flat rock wall. And we were . . . almost. Only as we came within feet of the wall did Billy and Flint McCloud finally start to protest. "We ain't got wings J. Mark."

I turned back, "You won't need em where we're heading."

At a point that to most people would look like any other point along the wall I stopped and showed my secret. In the face of the wall at an odd angle you could just make out the parting line. I dragged my hand along the wall as I walked and then I stepped suddenly right into and through the wall, only my outstretched arm visible.

"He really is a demon!" Billy shouted in fear and Flint McCloud chuckled, he is at that, but this isn't magic, just a trick." Flint McCloud walked and dragged his hand along the wall and then he didn't so much see it as he was in the passage. "Welcome" I said grinning as Flint's eyes adjusted.

He took a minute and finally asked "How are we gonna get a wagon in here?"

It was my turn to laugh "In pieces, or not at all, but I don't need to stash the wagon, just the gold hidden in the bottom of it."

I stepped back out and Flint made a good show of explaining how the optical illusion only made it look like we had passed thru solid rock. I pulled the false bottom out of the wagon and pulled out the gold in 4 large bags that looked like big heavy leather socks. I took my mare and tied two sacks to the saddle and pulled the stirrups up over the sacks and tied them together.

Without a word, the mare walked into the tunnel. I picked up one sack and threw it over my shoulder as I followed the mare. 15 yards in I lit a torch and saw the Flint was following me, though he was noticing the tight quarters. "It opens up soon and we'll be out in a moment." Flint McCloud grunted under the weight of the gold. "Out where?"

I grinned to myself "Thy road, the right, toward Pluto's dwelling goes, And leads us to Elysium. But the left Speeds sinful souls to doom, and is their path To Tartarus th' accurst."

Flint almost choked "You are quoting Virgil now?" I looked back at him "stay to the right, and I wasn't quoting Virgil, though I admit he gets the credit for the line." In a moment we walked into the light and you could see were green fields climbing out from a medium sized lake and extending for miles up the slopes of the crater.

"How in the hell did you find this place?" McCloud asked

I began the story "It was shown, or more properly given to me by a man I knew only as Flint. He was a mercenary old bastard, but he showed me a kindness before he left this mortal coil."

Flint McCloud set down his bag of gold. "A man could live a lifetime here and never be touched by the world. . . "

I nodded grimly "A man could live several lifetimes here alone, but one would be enough to leave him crazy."

"I can't deny the crazy part" Flint said... "Being this close to Heaven or hell by yourself for very long might just make ya' that way... But this reminds me more of 'Die Walküre' from that Wagner fella... Goes all the way back to Valhalla and that seems that's the way this here could go... Don't go tellin' anybody, but I seen that Richard Wagner do parts of 'Der Ring des Nibelungen' when I was in New York the one and onliest time... Was there in D.C. givin' some testimony..." the big gunman drifted off for a second as if remembering then continued... "I'd appreciate it if'n ya' kept that betwixt just us..."

"You're secret is safe with me... But where did you learn to speak German...???" asked the Colonel...

The big gunman took a second and then said with a mischevious smile, "Well heck... there's a bit more ta' me than meets the eye"... and with that, men and mare made their way down the correct side and started the chore of stacking the gold in an equally hidden cistern that would never be found unless one was shown the way...

Once the task was finished, J. Mark pulled out some smoked meat from his smokehouse and served up a more-than-fair feast for three hungry men... Of course, Flint was pretty much always hungry... When the meal was ready to be served, he said... "I would've asked you to do the cooking, Flint... then I remembered your culinary bent... burn everything beyond recognition..." at which point Flint threw a piece of biscuit at the Colonel who deftly side-stepped it...

"I'm thinkin' that maybe we oughta bunk here tonight... we been pushin' it pretty hard... What do you think..." Flint asked...

"Probably a good idea... We have a ways to go and it won't do to burn outselves down to the nub before we get there..." replied J. Mark...

The three decided to take refuge for the night and get an early start in the morning... Then Flint looked like he just got a grand idea... "Well... if'n we're here for the night... maybe ya' got a jug stashed away and we might have us a pull or two and one o' them ceegars o' yours..."

The Colonel rolled his eyes and said simply... "Here we go again..."...

Vaya con Dios

I had mixed feelings about leaving my place every time I walked out through the tunnel. We searched around the wagon and I found no signs that anyone had been in the area. Flint McCloud led the last of the Percherons out and I hitched him up. I didn't have to explain that while the horses would be fine left to fend for themselves, a wagon parked in the middle of nowhere might get someone to looking harder than I cared.

"One last thing I need to do." I said and I walked back through the tunnel and reset the multiple booby traps that would collapse the tunnel in the even of unauthorized access.

When I came out I looked at Flint and he asked "What took so long?"

I grinned, "just making sure the door was locked. Let's drop the wagon at the Livery in Toostone, then take the train on into Denver"

With the magnificent matched draft horses hooked back up to the wagon, the trio made ready for a trip into Toostone... As Flint was readying his gear, he saw J. Mark call Billy over and have a short, quiet conversation with him... "Wonder what that's all about" Flint queried to himself... then "prolly nothin'" and he pulled his cinch tighter after giving his mount an elbow in the mid-section so he would let out all the extra air...

Once mounted, the Colonel on the wagon with his horse tied behind, and Billy and Flint mounted on their animals, the three started the ride into Toostone... The trip passed with little note, other than one coyote that may have been rabid... J. Mark didn't wait around to find out, and the animal in question got both barrels of the Colonels 10-bore side-by-side...

Getting close to Toostone, old memories started to flood back in... the times and the friends... some now on the other side, that they had had... Seemed for just a second that the big gunman got some dust in his eyes... Rounding the last bend, Toostone lay out before them... They had decided earlier to make straight for the livery and leave the wagon there... However, shortly before they rode into the town proper, Flint forked his Mustang up next to J. Mark and said, "Surely you ain't thinkin' o' leavin' before at least havin' ONE drink in the Saloon(ACS) are ya'...???"

The Colonel looked over at his friend and sometimes riding partner... a man who had killed many men and saved his life more than once... who now resembled something akin to a big-eyed puppy looking for a treat...

"Fine" J. Mark said rolling his eyes... not for the first time on this journey... "We'll go have a drink... but I don't want to get too far sidetracked... I want to meet up with Bass Reeves and see what this manhunt is all about..."

"Oh... don't you worry yerself none... I'll just have one quick one and then we're on down the trail... You know me... the big gunman said with a huge grin plastered across his countenence...

"That's the problem" J. Mark replied... "I DO know you..." and a small smile crept across his face despite himself...

Coming into town, the Colonel and Flint saw a few familiar faces and dropped the wagon and team off with enough money to see to their care for the estimated amount of time... and an extra month just in case... "If we go long, I'll wire more money for their care" J. Mark told the Livery owner...

The three rode down the street and tied up in front of the Saloon(ACS)... "I been waitin' for this..." Flint said, settling his gunbelt around his hips... The three walked through the batwings and up to the bar...

Vaya con Dios

I was sitting in the back of the Saloon (ACS),alone, with my back to the wall when the Col. and Flint walked into the Saloon. Always cautious, those two, looking around the joint and eyeing every man jack in the place to see if any old enemies might surface to cause them trouble.

"J.Mark don't look his way just yet but there is an old codger sitting in the back that looks somewhat familiar. Can't place him right off but we need to watch him," said Flint.

The Col.and Flint sat down at a table and a bar maid came over and they ordered a bottle and two glasses. I waited until they got their liquor before I made my move. I slowly got up and then reached for my two crutches, put them under my arms and proceeded in their direction. I could tell that at this distance neither one of them recognized me because Flint had pulled his right hand pistol and laid it on his lap under the table. "You gonna shoot me with that thing?"

In unison both said "Cherokee Charlie, is that you?"

Archived