SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 97 Malfunction

Sagerider

A few months back, I was hit by lead splatter while at a loading table. Not realizing this may cause a problem with weapons function, I started the stage and the 97 jammed. The action opened but not far enough to eject the fired hull and the action would not close to battery. That evening, I removed the carrier and breech bolt from the receiver and found one small piece of lead lodged between the carrier and the receiver. I soaked the receiver, carrier and bolt in solvent, inspected, lubed and reassembled the gun. Function was normal using snap-caps and depressing the action slide lock release. However, when fired, the action jammed again in the partially open position. I have disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the gun with the same results. Works fine until fired. I have not disassembled the carrier and bolt but all parts seem to operate normally. Any suggestions on what I my be missing except sending this gun to a good "smith"? Thanks, in advance, for your advice. Sagerider

Maybe something that I found in one of my friends 97 and that was the pin that is called the firing pin stop pin located on the left side of bolt. I found it to be out just a wee bit and catching on the receiver part keeping it from closing.

Other then that??????????????????????????????????/

Jackrabbit Joe #414

Some suggestions and questions.

It may be a piece of lead or coincidence with another problem.

Did you take it apart and check everything?

If lead got into it, it may be stuck somewhere and not removed by just solvent.

And have tight screws?

Is the action hook screw okay and not broken?

If not any of that, you may need to take the fore end apart and check and clean the action slide spring (16 on the list).

97 Parts

Archived