SASS Wire Forum

Help with info about 97 (hammer strength)

Widder, SASS #59054

I like for my hammers on my 97's to fall with speed and strength. Soooo, I turn the screw on the Carrier down snug to insure I get what I want.

QUESTION: does setting this screw down snug adversely effect other operations of the SG?

I know it makes cocking the hammer alittle stiffer, which doesn't bother me. But are other things effected (adversely).

Thanks

..........Widder (don't know much about 97's)

One of the main sources of wear in the 97 is where the bolt fits into the frame. You can see that there is not a lot of metal to contact. The bolts may wear, but I understand that the biggest issue is the frame wearing or even stretching. (Hot loads may also contribute to stretched frames.)

So the stronger the hammer spring, the more stress is placed on the frame as the gun cycles. So the hammer spring needs to be optimized for lock time versus not putting too much stress on the frame.

Adversely, No. The gun was designed to have the Main Spring retaining screw tight. The gun was also initially designed to be a "market gun." Market guns were intended to be shot a lot. They are not however, immune to wear. We shoot these guns more than the market hunters ever thought of shooting them and wear is going to happen. Your going to see the most wear on the rails of the Breach Block (bolt). Marauder indicated the stresses on the frame but it's actually pretty evenly divided between the bolt raceways in the frame and the rails on the bolt. There will be more wear in the raceways and on the rails with a heavy Main Spring.

So ....... as mentioned by Marauder, there is a trade-off between lock time and wear. Reducing mechanical friction by polishing all the reciprocating parts will help extend the life of the gun. It is, however going to wear out. Especially as much as YOU practice :rolleyes:

The only answer is to own several and rotate them, while using a couple of beaters for practice. Also, using full weight dummie hulls for practice accelerates wear on the extractors and ejector.

Coffinmaker

Archived