SASS Wire Forum

Just wonderin' why...

McCandless

Back at the 2002 EoT I bought some .45colt ammo from Ten-X to use at the match. The bullet was set slightly below the case mouth. I was shooting blackhawks then, and it was an accurate, mildly recoiling round. No sight adjustment was needed for it. (I'm thinking, that this was a kinda-sorta fore-runner for the .45 Colt Special... a way of reducing the huge empty case volume when using smokeless powder.)

Now, the rules say this is no longer allowed... I got no quibble with the rules, just wanted to know what the rational was for the rule. Anybody know?

As an aside, the 1895 Nagant Single-Action Revolver is SASS legal. But, the proper ammo, 7.62 Nagant, is not SASS-legal because it is designed with the bullet deep seated and the case mouth tapered to interface with the barrel for a gas seal. Of course, I can shoot .32 H&R Magnums, but it got me thinking about the cartridge rules and wondering why.

Like I said, I don't want to argue the rules or change 'em... just wondering

(hey, it's late and I can't sleep so.....)

:blush:

who am I, anyway??

They are several models of Nagant revolvers and with more classical ammos. Indeed, the "Russian" Nagant has SASS illegal ammos, but other models (Danish, Norvegian, etc, when modified to single action are legal and their ammos are legal.

Recessed ammo is disallowed because it makes live rounds among empties hard to distinguish. There were some full wadcutters with a half round "bump" about like the nose of a 22 bullet incorporated into the nose so it stuck up above the rim when loaded to make em legal. Yes, reducing case capacity was the idea.

I have loaded my HB barnstormers upside down in C45S cases for uber mousephart loads, but I crimp em into the side of the bullet, leaving about .060 of the bullet "skirt" proud of the mouth.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/005-2.jpg

Recessed ammo is disallowed because it makes live rounds among empties hard to distinguish. There were some full wadcutters with a half round "bump" about like the nose of a 22 bullet incorporated into the nose so it stuck up above the rim when loaded to make em legal. Yes, reducing case capacity was the idea.

I have loaded my HB barnstormers upside down in C45S cases for uber mousephart loads, but I crimp em into the side of the bullet, leaving about .060 of the bullet "skirt" proud of the mouth.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/005-2.jpg

I heard rumors of folks shootin' aspirins at the targets...but had never seen one before...... :lol::lol:

Man's ingenuity never fails to amaze... :lol::lol:

LL

Archived