SASS Wire Forum

Boots and Salt

Up in these parts, we lay down alot of salt on roads and sidewalks in the winter...

I've got a pair of leather Western boots that have developed some serious salt stains across the instep; I've tried the ordinary stuff - plain water, saddle soap, leather conditioner - nothing makes it go away and stay away. First time they get wet, out comes that white stain again.

I assume that means that there is salt in the leather.

So...any suggestions for gettin' it out, permanent-like? And making those boots look presentable?

Obliged to you.

LL

I've used saddle soap to mixed results. I guess it depends upon how much salt is actually in there. After the saddle soap, remember to put some Kiwi on there. The saddle soap will remove most of the polish and leave the leather a bit dried out.

Chick

I've had real good results in keeping my boots and other leather gear in good shape with the Leather Therapy line.

Good scrub with the Wash, and follow up with the Restorer & Conditioner.

http://www.leathertherapy.com/

Vinegar and water, or lemon juice in water, then soap the heck out of 'em while still damp. That's how we clean the horse tack when the sweaty salt gets on the leather. Half cup of vinegar to a half-gallon of water, or cut that in half if you're just doin' boots. Rub it in good enough that your feet would be just be gettin damp if you was wearing them, then let them start to dry. Before they are completely dry, use saddle soap and/or pure neatsfoot oil. Should bring them back for ya.

I was worried this was a recepie thread at firsrt! :blink:

Bodine

Vinegar and water, or lemon juice in water, then soap the heck out of 'em while still damp. That's how we clean the horse tack when the sweaty salt gets on the leather. Half cup of vinegar to a half-gallon of water, or cut that in half if you're just doin' boots. Rub it in good enough that your feet would be just be gettin damp if you was wearing them, then let them start to dry. Before they are completely dry, use saddle soap and/or pure neatsfoot oil. Should bring them back for ya.

I was worried this was a recepie thread at firsrt! :blink:

+1 on the vinegar

Archived