SASS Wire Forum

Video - Colt's Single Action Army Revolver

I'm working on a three article series called the "Guns of 1873". Each article will focus on one of the three iconic firearms released that year, the Colt SAA, the '73 Winchester and the .45-70 Trapdoor Springfield.

This video is the companion to the Colt Single Action Army Revolver article.

I'm working on a three article series called the "Guns of 1873". Each article will focus on one of the three iconic firearms released that year, the Colt SAA, the '73 Winchester and the .45-70 Trapdoor Springfield.

This video is the companion to the Colt Single Action Army Revolver article.

Nice video, looking forward to the other two. Nice touch looking down the barrel as you shoot it on the last sequence, :lol: you sure must go through a few cameramen :D

Howdy, Mike -

Couple of observations...

Allowing the hammer to fall freely on a chamber you "assume" is empty is not a good habit to get into. It may have been inadvertent on your part, but portrays a potentially dangerous practice to the uninitiated.

You frequently refer to the set screw retaining the base pin as a feature of 1st generation guns which, of course, it is not. I think you should be consistent in referring to it as a feature of the so-called black powder frame Colt Single Actions.

I hope you take these criticisms in the constructive spirit in which they were offered.

Regards, TJH

Thanks Texas Jim,

You're right about terminology of course. Sometimes when I'm trying to spit it out on camera the right words just won't jump into my head. I've got to do better at that.

I understand what you're saying about dropping the hammer, but I think you'll agree that we are looking right through the empty chamber on the video. So I wasn't assuming anything. It was clearly safe. But I take your point and I'll try to be careful not to lead the uninitiated into inadvertent unsafe practices.

I appreciate the feedback, and hopefully I can apply lessons learned to future videos.

Gunner, I'm glad you liked it, and I hope your brother finds it helpful.

Lefty Dude,

Do you have any idea what I went through to pull together props for that beauty shot? Now I have to pull the video from Youtube and dye the saddle, and re-shoot the video...You're killing me man... :lol:

Seriously, I didn't know that. I'll have to see how well it takes dye. But I already shot the 1873 Trapdoor beauty shots using the saddle as-is, and I'm not re-doing them. Pulling out the 109'" seamless background paper in my small basement studio is just too much of a PIA to do it over.

Thanks for the feedback I'll use it to make future videos better.

Howdy again, Mike -

As Wolfbane would probably tell you... it's not as easy as it looks! I negelected to say it earlier, but I really admire and appreciate your efforts.

And just to clarify... you're correct, in the video the empty chamber is obviously under the hammer. My comment was not so much directed at the sequence in the video, but someone taking what they saw (dropping the hammer) as an acceptable practice when reloading the Colt SAA.

Keep on truckin', pard.

Regards, TJH

Texas Jim, I hear that loud and clear.

Heck, just when I think I'm doing ok, I find out I bought an antique McClelland saddle in the wrong danged color! :lol:

Anyway, I'm trying my best, and learning as I go along. I try to construct my videos the way I write my magazine articles, but necessarily with less info to try to keep them fairly short. Just like with my articles, I seem to notice my mistakes only after they are already out there in public.

Archived