SASS Wire Forum

Pierceing primers

Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904

This is a brand new Uberti Richards/Mason conversion in 45LC.

Right out of the box it punches a hole in every primer, the fireing pin is a sharp as can be, not rounded at all. Should I take a stone to it or send it back? I want to hear from anyone who has had the same problem. Maybe Uberti needs to know they have a problem, maybe it's just this one gun. I want to sell it, but not in this condition!

RM conversions are famous for that.

Uberti has known about the problem for years.

Just take a stone & dull the point a bit until it stops piercing the primers.

--Dawg

Hey mudflat mike i had this problem with schofield pistol that i shoot found out it was the primer's i was using went to winchester or cci's and it stopped the problem for me Brisco Big'n

Howdy

You are not the first person with this problem. Call Happy Trails for his custom firing pins.

Firing Pins

The Richard Masons firing pins are different from the regular open tops. Happy Trails doesn't offer replacements for these, I called him and he verified.

Prairie Dawg is correct, mine did the same and a little filing fixed the pierced primers. Be careful and go slow, you don't want to remove too much. Mine pierced so bad it cratered the primers and about locked up the cylinder. Now they function as they were supposed to.

Rev Willy Dunkum

MM:

You won't have a problem with the pins bending cuz they are soft.

It's the wasp-waisted open top pins that do that.

Again tho, Uberti has known about that for years.

Fortunately, Happy Trails addressed that problem.

--Dawg

Archived