SASS Wire Forum

Latest Rasmussen Poll

I was talking with my daughter about six months ago. I told her that in 2008 I couldn't really imagine a revolution occurring in the U.S. in my lifetime, but I cannot say that any longer. I still hope that things will turn, but I am less and less confident all the time.

“There are only so many times the Fed can pull this same rabbit out of its hat,” said Torsten Slok, the chief international economist at Deutsche Bank.

Congress had some room — financially and politically — to engage in fiscal stimulus during the last recession.

But at the end of 2007, the federal debt was 64.4 percent of the economy. Today, it is estimated at around 100 percent of gross domestic product, a share not seen since the aftermath of World War II, and there is little chance of lawmakers reaching consensus on additional stimulus that would increase the debt.

“There is no approachable precedent, at least in the postwar era, for what happens when an economy with 9 percent unemployment falls back into recession,” said Nigel Gault, chief United States economist at IHS Global Insight. “The one precedent you might consider is 1937, when there was also a premature withdrawal of fiscal stimulus, and the economy fell into another recession more painful than the first.”

What is sad is that everyone wants "the other guy" to throw their elected officials out of office, but will almost always re-elect the bums in their own districts. Maybe that will change....but I'm not going to bet one way or the other.

I'd happily run off almost every elected official in my state right now and about half the federal ones.

We also have to get rid of the un-elected people who have been given regulatory powers and who seem to answer to no one. ATF, all "czars", about 90% of the IRS, etc. as some examples.

Archived