SASS Wire Forum

value of russian capture 98k

Trigger Mike

A local store has a russian capture 98k with SOME parts matching (not many) and the SS emblem on the receiver. He is asking 850. I told him it was a russian capture and first he said no, but then I showed him why it is and so he said he would take 600. That still seems steep to me. It was made in 1944. Any idea what a ball park price should be?

Russian captures sold for about $250-350 when last available (last year). They are no longer available in the surplus market, so you could probably add $100 to that price. If it is a true SS marked rifle, than it would be worth much more than a standard. The problem is that there are a lot more SS marked guns in the market now than were ever made. People have been stamping K98's with SS runes for a long time to increase the value. I do not know how to distinguish a fake, but I would be suspicious of a Russian capture surviving with SS markings. I would suggest researching on surplusrifle.com or the forums there to try to authenticate before buying.

99% of all SS marked 98K are and have been found to be faked. SS marked 98K are stamped on barrel in front of receiver, left side, also underneath stock by trigger guard and also behind buttplate. Most authenticated SS marked are piece meal 98Ks, since there was a shortage of arms, and the SS in early years were also handed standard military rifles. Later reworked pieces were specially built from parts and designated for the SS, these were so stamped, so finding a non-matching SS marked 98K wouldn't be odd. After the war 1945-46, numerous 98K were stamped with numerous markings, non war issued markings for GIs, and even dignataries as war treasures. One of the biggest fakes, and collectors unwary, is the SS bayonet, there never was a SS bayonet so stamped.

If it is a true marked SS 98K, it could be worth a lot more then the original asking, even upward of 2000.00. Myself, unless I saw the SS markings, depth, clarity, also on the stock. I wouldn't touch it. To many collectors are swooned into buying stuff supposedly that came home from a veteran and was captured. I would want to see the captured papers, which would guarantee authenticity. MT

I should add some "44" markings are seen as "SS". There is also a skull along with the "SS".

Rebuilts that were designated for SS units, yes, were so stamped. No SS marked 98Ks were ever authorized by the military orders, though individual units, did mark their own sometimes to keep inventory.

The Russians were very careful about scrubbing makings on captured rifles. I'd pass on thisn.

I saw a joke of a SS 98 at a gun show a few years ago the stock was heavily carved with deep relief carvings of SS iconography including a scrolled black letter 'Heill you know who' about 8 inches long and up to a 1/4 inch deep all picked out in black and red paint the SS stampings on the metal were about 4 times too large and done with normal font 'SS' the dealer said it was real and wanted $1000 for it and this was 10 years ago.... it was an open joke allover the show of the sort "have you seen that joke 98 over at table XX?" it was gone as I left the show so someone must have bought it must have been one of P T Barnum's customers that bought it ('there is a sucker born every minute') he is alleged to have said

The Russians were very careful about scrubbing makings on captured rifles. I'd pass on thisn.

Not entirely. Since Russia had a shortage of firearms for their soldiers, captured weapons and ammo was handed out immediately. After a stockpiling of captured 98Ks,prisoners, and workers of pheasant were given work of pinning, they also started pinning the swatsikas out when they were rebuilding them, or they came in for maintenance. After the war there were huge cache of firearms designated for the furnaces to recover the iron, and obliterating the markings was a no reason. Some of these stockpiles were found as recently as 3 years ago with full markings and bought by several dealers, though import markings were required on the barrels. Your right that a lot of these 98K were obliterated from all markings, these were those distributed to police forces, and Border guards, many seeing service in East Germany, the irony.

Just out of curiosity, how was it marked (single rune, double rune, or death's head)? The single rune weren't SS issued rifles; they were refurbed by slave labor at a plant under SS supervision. The double rune markings are usually found as part of the acceptance stamp on the side of the receiver.

Must remember, the SS markings indicate only acceptance stamping, though they were to go to SS troops after rebuilt, no SS markings were ever part of a munition contract. SS, as well as Luftwaffe units did stamp their inventory of firearms with their designations. There are 2 accepted SS Rune markings, a clawfoot, and 1 with death head along with the SS Rune markings. The German Navy because of weather, seas, etc. did have some requirements for their arsenal to withstand the enviroments, and special interest was given to them, otherwise all the other services were treated alike as to rifles, carbines. Here's a Luger with accepted SS and Death head markings, I could not for some reason get a photo of a SS Rune Clawfoot marking, it kept coming out blurry, or washed out. As soon as I can get it, I'll post it. MT

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z72/marshaltroop/ss2.jpg

Just out of curiosity, how was it marked (single rune, double rune, or death's head)? The single rune weren't SS issued rifles; they were refurbed by slave labor at a plant under SS supervision. The double rune markings are usually found as part of the acceptance stamp on the side of the receiver.

single rune, so that would mean it is just made at a concentration camp under SS guard (torture likely). That would mean its value is the same as any other would it not?

single rune, so that would mean it is just made at a concentration camp under SS guard (torture likely). That would mean its value is the same as any other would it not?

Buckshot got it right, the single Rune (Gestapo marking should be on the barrel), were made at the Steyr, Austria concentration camp. They were bnz marked, with a 41 code and inspection #135.(these are on the receiver markings)

Again, you say the markings are on the receiver. The markings should be on the barrel, left just in front of receiver. If the stock matches, there should be markings under trigger guard and behind buttplate. You be your own judge on purchasing. 98K are getting harder to come by, they are great shooters, hunting rifles. I know several sportsmen that have bought 400.00 to 500.00 98Ks, had their barrel relined and are awesome in the field and on the range with them. MT

Your original post said "SS" markings, these would be double Rune markings. Gestapo marking is a single Rune. Buckshot got it right and thanks for clarifying that point. There is a difference between the 2. The Gestapo was an internal Security Police that was feared even by its citizens, and were of the Blood Order, using terror tactics and interrogation of citizens, spies, and POWs. The SS were special trained front line forces. It was compromised of multi-ethnic groups, was never a part of the Heer, (Waffen army) but rather kept apart, with the intention when Germany won the war to be its internal armed wing of the Reich.

Pretty much. It might be valued a little higher just because it is a variation of the norm, but nowhere near the value of an SS rifle. I wouldn't pay anything over $400 for it, and it would have to be in Excellent condition for that.

It might not shoot straight either; apparently the workers in occupied factories did a pretty fair job of sabotaging (bent sights, etc) the rifles that they made.

Archived