SASS Wire Forum

Murphy's Mix

Checotah

The peroxide goes away pretty fast, but the mix still works fine without it. Some people don't even use it. They substitute water in its place since 97% of the store bought stuff is distilled water.

If you want the peroxide to be in there, mix up everything but the peroxide and add it to a small batch as you use it.

--Dawg

Howdy

I buy the Oil Soap, Alcohol, and Per Oxide at the supermarket one quart each at a time. I pour all three together into an opaque 3 quart juice jug all at once. The jug lives down in the basement on one of my benches. I usually have to refill the jug about 2 or 3 times a year. When I pour it out of the jug, there is still fizz in the stuff. That tells me there is still H2O2 present after three or four months.

For regular use at the car after a match, I transfer the Murphy's Mix from the jug into a small bottle that lives in the dark inside the box on my guncart. The jar happens to be transparent, but like I said, it lives most of the time in the dark. Even after sitting in the jug for a few months, and then sitting in the dark in my gun cart, there is still fizz in it when I use it. That tells me there is still some Per Oxide present.

Per Oxide is in opaque bottles in the super market because it is sitting on a well lit shelf. It is just as dark inside the box on my cart as it is in an opaque bottle.

Archived