SASS Wire Forum

Bullet resizing question

I just began to cast my own bullets this season 44wcf and .38 spcl.Also planning on casting for .45. The question I have is about sizing the bullets.I have been using a Lyman 45 to size and lube for the 44wcf with SPG lube,but got a lee sizer for the .38 where you tumble lube the bullets and then size them with a die you put on your press.Being a "Darksider" I am using a grease cookie under the .38 same as I was doing before.What are your thoughts on the Lee sizer vs the Lyman.

Sgt H

Sgt I'd say go simple since you are casting, get the proper mold and sizer die for the Lyman then you can skip the grease cookie process. You are sizing the 38s to start with so why not squeeze lube into them at the same time with the Lyman? We cast a ton of 38s in the biglube Snakebite mold but there are also some old style traditional molds out there you could use as well. Handguns will require less lube then long guns which can get crusty bores with the smaller lube groove bullets so take that into consideration.

Welcome to the wonderful world of casting, it'll give yet another part of our hobby to learn about and perfect.

What are your thoughts on the Lee sizer vs the Lyman.

* The Lyman H&I lube sizer is slow - the Lee is fast

* The Lyman needs a top punch for nearly every different bullet - the Lee doesn't

* The Lyman is a nose down resizing die - the Lee is a bottom up resizing die. Nose down resizing dies distort the axis of the bullet, the Lee doesn't

* Unless one has 2 Lyman's. one for BP and one for smokeless lubes ... you have to clean out the lube before you can you it for the different lube

* One can order custom size resizing dies from Lee - one can't from Lyman

* The Lee is 'cheap', the Lyman H&I's - with various top punches is expensive

* Just cast your bullets, pan lube them in large quantities, run them through the Lee and your done. The Lyman is a one bullet at a time

Can I stop now? ;)

Archived