SASS Wire Forum

777 Use Questions

:FlagAm: I have always used authentic black powder for my loading. I have acquired a pound of 777 FFG. In my metallic loading with true black powder I use a molly coated bullet on top of a column consisting of a fiber wad, grease cookie and card wad. In my shot shell loading, on top of the powder is a column consisting of a nitro card, pre-lubed fiber wad and just the shot cup of a plastic wad. First off, can I use the same amount of compression as I do now? If I use the 777 for metallic loading, just the molly bullet? If in shot shell loading, can I just substitute powder or should I use strictly a complete plastic wad and delete my homemade column. As I stated, I use considerable compression in loading my true black powder loads and am concerned if that is applicable in the use of 777. Also, can I throw the same amount of powder, or do I need to change the amount? I use FFG and FFFG grades in my shot shells and FFFG and FFFFG in my metallic loads, all true black powder. I probably am not interested in continuing to use this powder, just thought that I would burn it up at a monthly club match.

Thank you ahead of time for any information given.

Regards,

Chas B. Wolfson

No compression should be used with 777 loads. The FFg that you have will work fine. 777 FFFg is NOT recommended for cartridge use.

So, load your FFg just to the base of the bullet and wad column and crimp. Should work fine. I'd probably use your existing lubed wad column. It's hard to have too much lube.

777 will give you more recoil and velocity than the same volume of BP; maybe as much or more than your compressed BP load does.

Good luck, GJ

Chas,

I've benn using 777 2F since almost day one. Load up the case to the base of the bullet, insert bullet, crimp it and go. I have been using Molly bullets for 1/2 a year now, no extra lube at all, everything is working just fine. Cleanup is a little windex water, followed by a little Ballistol and water.

Guest Cactus Cris SASS#2790

Chas- in my experience if you are wanting to keep the same results using 777 as your BP loads- back off the 777 load 10%. It has more POOF than real BP and burns faster. Everything else will work fine-no extra lube will be needed. Results may vary. :unsure:

Howdy Mr. Wolfson - I've been using Triple 7 for a few years now and have had excellent results.

I don't know how much powder you're using now, but if you've been loading with real BP to the cartridge lip and mashing it down, you definitely do not want to do that with 777.

It works best with just a hint of compression. About 1/16". No cookie, powder wad, or any filler is needed.

It's not fussy about bullet lube either - BP or smokeless works equally well.

It works just fine with the plastic wads in shotshells - no extra steps necessary. I used the Winchester whites until my supplier ran out of them. Now I use the green Claybuster wads. No perceptible difference.

Chas,

I've benn using 777 2F since almost day one. Load up the case to the base of the bullet, insert bullet, crimp it and go. I have been using Molly bullets for 1/2 a year now, no extra lube at all, everything is working just fine. Cleanup is a little windex water, followed by a little Ballistol and water.

+1

Archived