SASS Wire Forum

OT

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I need a small battery operated digital video recorder. It needs to strap to my wrist or fit in my pocket. I am externally recording from a camera. It needs to accept an RCA cable to interface with my camera. Doesn't matter if it records to a hard drive or SD card. Just needs to be compact, battery operated and produce decent video.

Anything decent under $150? Any recommendations? The internet has too much information and I am not sure I can trust the pimple faced store clerks to sell me the right thing.

Not sure why you want it to interface with your camera.

I use the Flip Ultra HD video camera to take vids at shoots, works great, will hold up to I think 2 hours of HD video. Battery life has been nothing short of amazing, and it has a flip out USB to plug into your computer.

I am hooking it to a FLIR infrared camera. It only records still pictures to an SD card or in the hard drive. The camera has a video output jack for externally recording real time viewing. Of course, I could of had it installed in the hard drive for a few thousand more. Got an inspection coming up requiring infrared video. Heard of DVR's the size of a pack of cigarettes that run on batteries. From what I understand, they don't have a lens or a screen. You just plug in and press record.

I carry one at work to protect myself from false complaints (and it saved my arse during an IA investigation, so it was the best $60 I ever spent). I don't know if any of them interface with a camera, but I've been happy with mine made by Olympus. Best Buy and other electronic stores sell them.

I carry one at work to protect myself from false complaints (and it saved my arse during an IA investigation, so it was the best $60 I ever spent). I don't know if any of them interface with a camera, but I've been happy with mine made by Olympus. Best Buy and other electronic stores sell them.

I have seen the Olympus units and from what I can tell, they only do audio.

Archived