SASS Wire Forum

Proud mom and dad

Gumbo Joe

Gumbo Joes mom here-I just could not wait until he had time to post something. He is now a new recruit in the Delayed Entry Program of the United States Marine Corp. He signed the enlistment papers Saturday, went to MEPS today and is scheduled to report to boot camp on September 6. Please keep him in your prayers as he graduates from high school and trains and gets in shape to go. He has to loose 10 pounds before then but as the recruiter said they can work that off of him pretty quick.

Gumbo Joes mom here-I just could not wait until he had time to post something. He is now a new recruit in the Delayed Entry Program of the United States Marine Corp. He signed the enlistment papers Saturday, went to MEPS today and is scheduled to report to boot camp on September 6. Please keep him in your prayers as he graduates from high school and trains and gets in shape to go. He has to loose 10 pounds before then but as the recruiter said they can work that off of him pretty quick.

The marines want only a few GOOD men.. my guess is GUMBO JOE is one.. lol.. Congrats... so cool.. and thanks for wanting to serve. i am so humbled by people who do serve.

I'm retired Army and I'm glad to see young folk who has pride of country to carry on...........

DAMN PROUD OF YA SON !!!!!!!! :FlagAm:

Prayers up fer him and his family.

Thank You Gumbo for your service! And to his parents... Welcome to Marine Corps. parenthood... hold on to your seats... it is a heck of a ride! (Don't think there is much that has made me prouder of my son, nor have I had much that has made me as concerned for him either!)

J.D.

Proud Father of a U.S. Marine currently serving his third combat tour.

Well God Bless Him and thanks in advance for his service!!!TH

PS I too am a Proud Father as my youngest son passed his last test for our local (Rio Rancho) PD. No sure job but a Great Effort!!

Deja Vous let me add something to your comment. The Corps wants a few good women too! To the Parents of Gumbo Joe, thanks for supporting him and being proud of him. I enlisted in the Corps almost 62 tears ago. There were less than 75,000 Marines in the Corps then. The Korean War changed that number quickly. I won't bore you with events in my career until my retirement from the Corps in the 1970's. Nor will I give you advice to pass on to your young son. He will have to learn that for himself, and he will earn the emblem of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, and the title, United States Marine. For you, and his other relatives and friends, do not send him care packages, particularly cakes, cookies, candy, or other food stuff. Trust me on this. The Corps frowns upon it. In my day it was called Pogey Bait, a derogatory term at best. Once he earns the Emblem he will always be a Marine. You may not recognize him at first if you are going to Parris Island or San Diego when he graduates. That is not unusual. He will stand taller and straighter, and he will talk differently. He will remember the names of his Drill Instructors for the rest of his life.

Wish him God Speed for me and a welcome to the Corps, and hold him close to your heart.

An Old Marine :FlagAm:

Archived