SASS Wire Forum

Long Hunter's One-Piece Kit Question

Solo Sam 91319

I recently installed Long Hunter's one piece firing pin in my Marlin. It failed to detonate primers about 15% of the time, and with the new firing pin I haven't had a single failure yet. Installing it taught me a lot about how the weapon operates and I'm now much more confident of my ability to do some amateur gunsmithing. The included instructions were very vague but this website helped a great deal: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/onepiece.htm

The kit included a replacement lever plunger spring. The lever plunger is held in place by a 1/16th inch pin which is hard to remove and very easy to lose. Of course, I suffered a minor disaster when the pin flew out of the lever (never to be found) and my 1/16th punch head broke off in its place. I fixed it by sanding the punch head to fit and adding some Loctite, and while the weapon works fine with my jury-rigged repair I have to wonder what purpose this served. For future reference, the springs and washer that Long Hunter offers are actually irrelevant to the firing pin, and unless you really need a replacement spring you're probably better off not even bothering with it.

Here's the question:

What is the advantage to using Long Hunter's replacement lever plunger spring? When I got the kit I assumed it must be better somehow, but I don't see any difference. Is it actually better than the factory spring, or is it just a spare part they threw in there?

-Solo Sam

I recently installed Long Hunter's one piece firing pin in my Marlin. It failed to detonate primers about 15% of the time, and with the new firing pin I haven't had a single failure yet. Installing it taught me a lot about how the weapon operates and I'm now much more confident of my ability to do some amateur gunsmithing. The included instructions were very vague but this website helped a great deal: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/onepiece.htm

The kit included a replacement lever plunger spring. The lever plunger is held in place by a 1/16th inch pin which is hard to remove and very easy to lose. Of course, I suffered a minor disaster when the pin flew out of the lever (never to be found) and my 1/16th punch head broke off in its place. I fixed it by sanding the punch head to fit and adding some Loctite, and while the weapon works fine with my jury-rigged repair I have to wonder what purpose this served. For future reference, the springs and washer that Long Hunter offers are actually irrelevant to the firing pin, and unless you really need a replacement spring you're probably better off not even bothering with it.

Here's the question:

What is the advantage to using Long Hunter's replacement lever plunger spring? When I got the kit I assumed it must be better somehow, but I don't see any difference. Is it actually better than the factory spring, or is it just a spare part they threw in there?

-Solo Sam

Personally, I think installing that WHOLE kit in your Marlin is an improvement.

When the Marlin comes from the factory. it can be hard to push that plunger in using finger strength. It appears that Marlin installs that overpowered spring to insure the lever doesn't pop open during loading.

On the other hand, those springs I've used from Longhunter were alittle 'softer' on the spring tension BUT were ample strong enough to keep the lever closed during the loading process. It gave operating the lever on opening and closing a better feel.

That 'other' spring is a GREAT aftermarket spring for the hammer. Although those springs are strong enough to give consistant ignition when the hammer falls, I have found it VERY USEFUL to use that little washer and place it against the colar portion of the hammer strut. This washer can help that spring from 'winding' itself up over that colar alittle and therefore maintain constant strengh in hammer falls.

As you study your Marlin and learn some do's and don'ts, you'll discover that there may be some items not necessarily needed but when used and set up correctly, they can be a nice enhancement of your Marlin.

I like Longhunters products and feel that he supplies some good stuff in his kits.

..........Widder

The firing pin is great. As to the plunger spring, I personally don't like them. I find them too light. Levers won't reliably stay closed unless firmly held shut. The stock ones are definitely too heavy. I would trim down a coil or two off of a stock one and polish the snot out of the plunger.

I have two rifles I purchased with lightened plunger springs. One is a 45-70. Ya had to forcefully hold the lever shut. The lever interlock was pretty much disabled too. You could easily fire the rifle outta battery. Yeah, who wants to fire a 45-70 outta battery? Not me. Not with any of the loads I shoot. Heck of a way for a for a "gunsmith" to do an "action job" was my first thought. This is negligence in my view, but I caught it right away and fixed it.

The other is a 94 I just purchased. It stays closed unloaded. When loaded, its another story. The magazine tube spring puts enough pressure in the works for the gun to want to open the lever. The lever popped open today and caused lil hiccup. Lever wasn't closed when it was thought to be closed. It released the lever interlock. It has to be held shut. Won't reliably stay shut on its own.

I will be removing it and replacing it with a trimmed down stock spring.

Sure, these levers need to open smooth on these Marlins. Lightening the plunger spring helps, but ya shouldn't have to hold the lever in order for it to stay closed.

When you work the lever, do you feel a hard catch when you open and another catch when you close the lever? If so, then you can eliminate a lot of that with a lighter spring and some "judicious" polishing of the plunger tip. You want the lever to feel smooth on opening and closing. Minimize that catch as much as possible. Look at the plunger tip. From the factory it comes to a point. Round that off slightly, then try it. Get it as smooth as you can, but still hold the lever closed.

Here's the question:

-Solo Sam

You might consider talking to Long Hunter. Just a suggestion. ;-)

--Ranger Dave

I must be the only one that didn't get the washer, I have 3 of these installed and none of them came with a little washer, and these were for the marlin 1894, was going to order 2 more sets, maybe I will get lucky and get the washers this time

All for now JD Trampas

JD if you really want the washers, I'll dig mine out and mail them. I have a couple I never used. Never had a need personally. As for the plunger spring, I love em. I actually took a couple coils off mine with no problems with the lever opening. If you tune the mag spring to the plunger, you can make them reliably, extremely light.

Thanks for the offer Hugh, but they are working just fine, just curious why I never received them is all, I ordered 2 kits from Longhunter a few years back and the other was from Pioneer since I was ordering quite a few things from them and it didn't have the washer either, I guess when they put them in the bag they just forgot to include them, plan on ordering 2 more kits and I guess I will see if they are included this time, if anything I can go to the hardware store and pick up some washers.

All for now JD Trampas

Removing and re-installing the FACTORY lever spring is usually a 2 person job. (unless you have 3 arms)

Have someone hold the lever and push in on the plunger. Then gently tap out the pin. It comes out the ejection port side, as does about everything on a Marlin, sights etc.

While you had your bolt out, it would have been a great time to remove the Extractor and clean the hole it rides in, you will be amazed at the crap in there.

Archived